Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ramp machining

markb52

I'm trying to machine a piece of very abrasive material that is .080 think. I'm cutting a perimeter cut around it and want to use the entire .700 flute length of my cutter to avoid cutter wear as much as possible. The problem is that I want to use the contour toolpath with ramp maching but I don't want to do the extra full depth pass after the endmill reaches z -.700. I want one pass ramping from z-.080 to z-.700. What I had to do is create ramped geometry to run a 3-d contour from. The toolpath editor is another option but then I won't have my lead out after I cut the full depth pass out. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to with flat geometry? -Thanks-

This will not control what I'm trying to do. I want to make one pass around the part starting at z-.100 and finishing at z-.700. Once the cutter reaches z-.700 I want it to lead out and be done. I don't want an extra pass at z-.700. Make pass at final depth is not even an option in multi-pass? I want to do a 3-d contour with out having to create 3-d geometry. I want to use the ramp function with 2-d geometry.

markb52:

I uploaded a file called ramp sample.mc9 it does just what you are asking. I just created a rectangle, contour, 2d ramp, ramp set to depth .7, and lead in lead out. It worked great. Check it out.

HTH

Yes I recieved the files from Chris and Marc Thanks. However, no thanks. This is not what I'm trying to do! I want to make only one pass around the part ramping from z-.100 to z-.700. When it reaches z-.700 I want to do a lead out and be done. I don't want it to make another perimeter pass at z-.700 (constant Z). The reason I'm trying to get this to work is because the geometry we cut is for the most part rectangular but has alot of small detail on it. Creating 3-d geometry from it is a pain in the xxxx! I want this toolpath to be optimized for hundreds of parts otherwise this would not be much of a concern to me for a one off part. The only other thing other than creating 3-d geometry is to save a toolpath like you guys e-mailed me and save the toolpath as geometry then eliminate the constant z part of it and run a 3-d contour on it. The material I'm cutting will wear out a diamond coated endmill after 15-20 parts if I just do a constant level perimeter cut. You can see why I'm trying to utilize the entire flute length. I 'm looking for a simple way to do this with 2-d geometry and the ramp feature. Help!!!

mark

I have to say that I'm stumped. The file I sent you did not contain any 3D geometry, did not make 2 passes around the part, and started at Z-.080 and ended at Z-.700 [your original numbers, I think] so either I'm just losing my mind or you may not be looking at it right; I don't know which.

If you backplot the file and step it while looking at the numbers on the display I think you'll see that it does what you want.

C

Chris,

I sent him a file that did that also. Except I started at Z-.100, per his last reply. I have not heard back from him yet. I think we understand him correctly.

Mark, what version of MC are you running? If there's an option to not do a finish pass at depth in V9, but not in V8...and you're using V8, maybe that's the problem. confused.gif

Thad

Mark,

You are getting a little outside the constraints of the software.

quote:

I want to use the ramp function with 2-d geometry.

Don't use the function that you want to use as this is not what you NEED to use, the computer doesn't think in terms of tool life, only in terms of the geometry that you are putting into the system. What I would do to it is Lie. Create the geometry as though it is .700 thick and not just .080 and that would be the first trick.

Mastercam can't think outside of the CPU box - that's your job.

Mark,

What version are you running ?

I kept my busy nose out of this, since I saw what capable hands the thread was in, but I second Chris in that I easily created a single pass contour toolpath using ramp options that runs to your specifications.

If you are running v9.1 use ramp with multi pass and depth cuts UNCHECKED

With Drive Geometry at Z=0 .

Set Feed Plane to .1 Absolute.

Set Top of stock to -.1 Absolute.

Set Depth to -.7 Absolute.

Set Contour Type to RAMP

Set radio button on ramp page to Depth.

Set Ramp Depth to .7

This does exactly what you describe in Version 9.1 with the latest patches installed. This is exactly what the Ramp function is designed to do.

Of course Chris could still be loosing his mind regardless of the ramp situation biggrin.gif but sanity over rated anyways tongue.gif

[ 05-22-2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

Mark52:

I echo Chris, That, and CAMando. The file I sent you does just what you are asking for. Maybe I don't understand the question, but it seems to me that we have answered the question you have asked. Please clarify the question, post a sample file, or something so we can help.

[ 05-22-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]

Dave and Thad, I just emailed you the file I sent Mark. Can you look at it and see if I'm cracked; or what?

I tried to put the file mark sent me on the ftp, but I'm getting some kind of password problem.

C

[ 05-23-2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

markb52 - eMastercam.com will shut down temporarily today for several hours when our servers realize that we don't actually have the Internet in Canada.

In the meanwhile I have a call into Al Gore - the inventor of the Internet wink.gif - to see what can be done about the situation.

Hello,

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with my comment about our friendly neighbors to the north! I think I've figured it out. I have versions 8.1 and 9.0 available to me. I do not have 9.1 yet. 9.0 does not have the option to uncheck "machine finish pass at final depth" it just does it. When the guys sent me their files I had to regenerate them when I read them into 9.0. My version was giving a different toolpath than 9.1. It did a full depth finish pass and on their system it was not. I'll have to get updated ASAP Thanks Alot for all the help.

Mark

P.S. Can you guys see the north pole from you back window?

markb52 - All in good fun. No feathers ruffled.

quote:

P.S. Can you guys see the north pole from you back window?

I know they don't use world atlases in US schools wink.gif , but has anyone bothered to check how northerly Minneapolis is in relation to Toronto?!

[ 05-23-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]