Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Linnux

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

8 Linnux Myths

I read this interesting article about Linnux and it made me wonder if anyone in here is considering Linnux at their places of employment to replace their PC's (Except for their Mastercam Boxes of course)??

Linux is not a replacement for pc .

Linux is the Unix flame for pc.

It is good for server tasks (web ,fileserver and so on).

I think that as a workstation operating system

it will take a lot of time to consider it as a

replacement for Windows not because Windows flames are better (in fact Windows is bad ) but because there are lot of other factors.

I am in love with Linux for eight years.

My first Linux was Minilinux, then Red Hat 4.

Now it is Mandrake 9.

In all my computers there was and are some Linux .

I can do a lot of things easily that is almost impossible to do under Windows with a standart Linux tools !

But it is not a system for common user.

You must have knowledge, devotion and some Unix experience is preferible also.

It can nicely coexist with any other OS on the same pc, it is far more stable than any Windows OS,it is far more safe and secure and I love it.

But at work for many years ahead I will see only

Windows .

I want to ask other question :

How many of you - fellow Mastercamers have at home Linux or other Unix (like FreeBSD) and use it in the daily manner ?

PS My favourite Unix command is dd (this little thing can do wonders) ! cheers.gif

[ 05-20-2003, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

I have no windows @ home. I'm running slack 9 and mandrake 8. There are very few programs that I can't find linux replacements for.

Here at work all of the servers are being switched to RH and SuSe. There is talk of changing the workatations to RH. We'll just have to wait and see.

Roy g. biv !

That`s cool !

For all Windows addicts there are Knoppix and Demolinux projects (cd with bootable Linux -no need to install )!

A lot of O.S for one disk with cool KDE2 and a lot of software .(Debian flame}

Someone tried a tiny Cad program qcad ? Rather cool .

Linux Rocks !

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have a copy of Knoppix. I've not yet tried it out. One of my friends turned me onto it. It looks interesting though. He showed me a few things on it then left me with it to experement with.

Linux is fine for small servers or servers in environments without a dedicated sys admin. For hardcore web and file servers, I'd go with OpenBSDeven though Linux is a "friendlier" Unix-variant.

Linux on the desktop for average users? Not for a while, if ever. The idea of Linux and the open source community is the catch, not Linux itself per se.

We'll be Windows/Mac folk until something better comes along, I guess wink.gif

I've been an avid Linux fan since Red Hat 4. I use it at home and at work. I've used several distributions, and like them all. It's much easier, in my opinion, to administer a Linux box then a Windows server.

I'm also a fan of VMWare, although it's a bit pricy. I've tried Mastercam on a Linux box running a Windows VMWare session, and it appeared to work well. I haven't tested it completely, but I would expect that it would work. Plus when using VMWare, if Windows crashes, it doesn't take the whole system down.

Has anyone else tried Mastercam on a VMWare session of Windows?

I also have to agree that the Windows desktop has a better look and feel than any Linux desktop I've seen, and Windows will probably be the desktop of choice for awhile. What about Macs?

Dave

I would love to move to Linux and hope Mastercam will also. I know, fat chance.

I did try Redhat and liked it a lot. The problem was getting it to talk to my Windows machines over my network. Supposed to be simple. I just could not get it to work and did not have the time or energy to spend figuring it out. The support sources tried to be helpful but would not give a step by step process. They, of course, used Linux terms and I did not understand them.

Otherwise I did like the system and the software. I use Open Office and Star Office on all my boxes now. MS Office is history.

Tom

quote:

The problem was getting it to talk to my Windows machines over my network. Supposed to be simple.

Configure your TCP-IP settings.

Use linuxconfig .

And you can use Samba !

Have a look on FAQ and other sources .

[ 05-25-2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]