Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotate - Translate, Helical Geometry Creation

McRae

What mechanism is there to rotate and translate entities - concurrent to each other? I have a cross section and point data that I would like to generate a helical part out of.

I could do this the labour intensive method but hope there is some hidden gem I just don't know about.

Thanks for your replies.

I have created helical shapes from cross sections using both surfaces and solids.

Step 1 - determine the amount of rotation per unit of length needed for your helix (i.e. 360 degrees per inch).

Step 2 - rotate and translate copies of the cross section geometry so that you end up with 4 or more cross sections located correctly in 3D space.

Step 3 - create a lofted solid by chaining the cross sections. Be careful to begin chaining at the correct point to preserve the timing. Creating a reference point on your cross section chains may be helpful.

I have sometimes noticed issues at each end of the helical solid, so I typically create a solid that is longer than needed then Extrude Cut the ends off. The problems with the ends can be avoided by creating an additional rotated/translated cross section very near each end (i.e. 1 degree separation from the ends).

There are a few steps involved but the results are very good. A nice feature would be to create a helical solid by chaining a single contour, specifying length and pitch.

Good Luck

Kieth,

The method that you described is how I am doing it now. What I want is

quote:

A nice feature would be to create a helical solid by chaining a single contour, specifying length and pitch.

That!

What a usefull feature this would be for me... Secondly, does anyone have a reference book of polar equations complete with the equation plotted out? I have a mathematical handbook (Schaums') but there are only a limited number of plotted graphs - the ones with names of famous mathematicians...