Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe groove

K2csq7

X5 (no mu1)

Lathe groove, using chain, using stock for outer boundary... On the roughing tab, whatever I put in for "Stock Clearance" is how much the tool will "back up" before plunging. I am using depth cuts and tool inspection, it doesn't start happening until the 2nd or 3rd depth cut. Anyone know how I can get rid of the backing up?? If I set the "Stock Clearance" to zero I get the "Tool collision with stock" error (which makes sense).

TIA

Thanks guys.

Dodgerfan, my settings are identical to yours... I did also try unchecking the "use stock for outer boundary" and using the "stock amount" instead, same thing.

Tony, the width of the opening is only .220 and I am using a .157 wide tool... Just 2 steps (side to side).

I just tried adjusting it down to 10% of the tool and it didn't like that at all. Still have the backing up issue.

The same thing happenned to me the other day making a .125 wide ID groove with a .125 wide insert. Using depth cuts, after the 2nd or 3rd depth cut it would rapid into position then back up then enter the cut.

I am using the tool inspection feature set to go to my "user defined" position after every plunge, I shut it off to see if it made a difference but it did not.

Dodgerfan, thanks for the email. Changing the "retract to stock clearance" in the depth cuts window from absolute to incremental and unchecking tool inspection eliminated the "backing up", but I need to have tool inspection on and with it on the thing still backs up...

Dodgerfan, thanks for the email. Changing the "retract to stock clearance" in the depth cuts window from absolute to incremental and unchecking tool inspection eliminated the "backing up", but I need to have tool inspection on and with it on the thing still backs up...

Well that sux :o

Yes that works, but I need to be able to have the tool retract for inspection after every plunge/cut. I really don't think the insert will go 1" deep in Waspaloy :blink: Each cut gets a consecutive "N" number (1.2.3.4....) with safe start codes.

Gonna use it for now and just make the operator aware of the funny moves.

Yes that works, but I need to be able to have the tool retract for inspection after every plunge/cut. I really don't think the insert will go 1" deep in Waspaloy :blink: Each cut gets a consecutive "N" number (1.2.3.4....) with safe start codes.

Gonna use it for now and just make the operator aware of the funny moves.

change your peck depths to around .075 and rock on!

Sent this one into QC, it has now been logged as "CNC00097228".

Workaround is shut off "use stock for outer boundary", set "stock clearance" to zero, and use the "stock amount" for whatever value you need for clearance...

• 7 months later...

Dan, changing the cut direction definitly helps, thanks!

But the other stock settings need to be played with a bit for grooves that are wider than the tool.

Definitely a bug in there somewhere....

Just had an instance today where the tool would plunge to the center of the part then peck up to the geometry in the increments defined in the peck groove page. Chaging the retract moves from absolute to incremental fixed it, if you want to use absolute you have to include the parts OD I guess.