Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Convert .idw files

Platinum

I am trying to convert customer supplied .idw (and .ipt) files. Emphasis on "trying".

As of this post, I get no error msg (good thing), but no entities, either (bad thing).

Am I missing something?

confused.gif

I am using MC v9.1 (mill) with latest .dlls

[ 05-22-2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Platinum ]

You might need to install "DesignTracker", which is on our CD. This is software provided to us by Autodesk that is necessary when importing Inventor .IPT and .IAM files into Mastercam.

If you've got Inventor installed already, you don't need to install DesignTracker.

Try installing DesignTracker and then start up Mastercam again and try File/Convert/Autodesk/Read and select your .IPT file. Keep me posted.

PDG

P.S. We don't support .IDW files, but we've started looking into it.

I have noticed that some Autodesk users place the entire drawing in "Paper space", and when importing to Mastercam, the "Blank paper space entities" checkbox is checked by default. That might not by the problem you are having, but it fits the symptoms.

You might try unchecking that checkbox when trying to import the files, or unblanking blanked entities after importing the files.

HTH

Thanks for the help, but....

I do have Design Tracker 5.0 installed but have no luck with it, either. Could it be a customer setting in their .idt creation?

I only found "paper spaces" in .dxf/.dwg conversion. Am I missing a setting somewhere? After the nearly instantaneous conversion process, I'm told there are no entities. Unblanking shows no entities. Is there a way I can get a .log file of the conversion process?

Thanks again.

[ 05-23-2003, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Platinum ]

Mr. Platinum

1) Welcome to the forum cheers.gif

2) Do you have a real name? I hate calling people by their handles.

3) Are you sure that there are actually geometry entities in the file? Did you open it with some other software?

4) I am no expert on this, but, we use Inventor here and I have been fairly successful with bringing in the files; can you email your file so I can see what results I get?

[ 05-23-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

The newest version of VoloView Express, which is free, can view Inventor files. We have version 2.0 Build 811 and it can view: DWG DXF DWF XML IPT IAM and IDW.

The down side you can not convert it to anything though but atleast you could view the file.

Do you know which version of Inv?

Like Chris said:

quote:

can you email your file so I can see what results I get?

HTH cheers.gif

The current version of Autodesk's Design Tracker for Inventor R6 is located here:

Autodesk Design Tracker 6.0 sp2

You'll need this for the conversion to work if your customer is using Inventor R6. I am not sure if Inventor or Inventor Pro R7 can use the same design tracker, as I have been too busy as of late to fully evaluate R7.

Inventor files have diferent extentions that denote what the file is used for. As of Inventor R6 they are:

.ipt = Inventor Part File. .IPT files contain a part or a part and it's associated toolbodies. You'll need the .IPT to get anything useful for toolpaths. .IPTs may also be derived parts, in which case you will most likey need the 'parent' .IPT file for a sucussful conversion.

.iam = Inventor Assembly Model. .IAM files contain pointers to the .IPT files that containm the parts and/or pointers to other .IAM files that make up subassemblys. For them to be useful, you'll need the associated .IPT files.

.idw = Inventor Drawing File. .IDW files contain pointers to the .IPT/.IAM files that are used to generate the views, as well as the various annotations that turn a sketch into a working drawing. You can view .IDW files and work with the annotations even if the .IPT/.IAM files associated with it are not present, but there is nothing in a .IDW that will be useful in generating toolpaths. Use Volo View to look at them and/or print them out.

.ipn = Inventor Presentation. .IPN files contian pointers to .IAM files and are used to generate exploded views and/or animations of your assemblies. Like the .IDW file, these do not contain any useful geometry that will help with toolpaths.

Weldments and Sheet Metal files are special cases of .IAM and .IPF files, respectivly. For weldments, you'll need the associated .IPT files. For sheet metal, the .IPT file alone should be enough, unless there are toobodies or the .IPT is a derived part.

If this seems overly complex, I'd be happy to explain why Autodesk is doing it this way, and what problems this solves. But I've gone on long enough already.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...