Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Shrink Fitting

Not sure if it fits in this forumn anywhere but I have a question about shrink fitting. I need to fit a shaft into a ring. The shaft is too long to freeze so I am relying entirely on heating the ring. The hole is just under 3" and the O.D. is 3-15/16" diameter in 1045 steel. I found the thermal expansion coefficients but Im concerned that since there is a hole thru that it may expand more. Anyone with any experience in this area would be a big help. I plan on heating the ring to between 300° and 400° and expect around .004' to .005" expansion as it is with the standard formula but again I wonder if it will grow more since it has a larg hole thru it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

This might be a dumb question, but wouldn't the ring ID grow smaller at the same time due to expansion? Perhaps not at the same rate , but still?

You would think so, but it doesn't. The entire part grows.

To exaggerate, if a part at room temperature is 1x size.. then if you heat it up it's now 2x size... OD and ID are twice as large.

Also wall thickness plays a big part of how fast/slow the ID will expand.

• 3 months later...

300-400 deg seems a bit of overkill..... I have done stuff like this with 8-11" dia tubes (bout 1/2" wall) only .001-.003 <MAX interferance fit (my experience, not saying you don't need more) when I did it I would heat slowly tapping my hand on it every 20 sec or so... when it got to hot to keep my hand on it they would drop right on.