Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CAM - Speciality

mchin-pilot

There are different sectors of machining:-

2.5 axis - 2D work.

3 axis - Mold, 3D work.

4 axis - Blades, Roller/Cams.

5 axis - Mold, Aerospace, Impellar, Port.

Lathe - 2 Axis Lathe.

Millturn - Multi Tasking, B axis contouring, Eccentric Turning.

Star-Swiss Lathes -

Im sure mastercam users would have experience with other Cam systems? and how would you rate the softwares that best do a particular job?

Say for eg in your knowledge:-

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Impellar machining ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Port machining ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Mold/Electode work ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Aerospace Type parts ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for High Speed Machining ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Full 4 Axis work?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Lathe work?

Which CAM is best and powerfull that handles Mill-Turn machining ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Citizen/Star type Lathes ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for 2D work?

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Feature Based Machining ?

Which CAM is best and powerfull that handles everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! M a s t e r ...

Softwares in question are for eg:-

Tebis

Hypermill

Powermill

Machining Strategist

Mastercam

Surfcam

Edgecam

Peps

Cimatron

Esprit

UG

Catia

Proe

Gibbs

Geopath

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm trying to figure out what you're getting at... does your company do ALL of those things you listed and you want something that handles everything, or are you just looking for opinions of what covers each listed segment best?

Here's my favorites for some of them.

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Impellar machining ? hypermill ( But NREC which isn't on your list is better )

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Port machining ? hypermill

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Mold/Electode work ? powermill ( but you also need powershape )

Which CAM is best and powerfull for Full 4 Axis work? mastercam

Which CAM is best and powerfull for 2D work? mastercam or hypermill

Mastercam is overall a very good solution. A skilled programmer can do almost everything with it and the price is very attractive compared to the full PLM systems.

Hi Apps, I was exactly looking what covers each segment best. Since Mastercam users are great explorers so I thought to take an opinion from this wealthy knowledgebank.

Hi Mic , thanks for your honest reply, About NREC I heard there are only 100 users (across globe)? You are no doubt right that skilled programmer can do almost every thing with Mastercam, but you also know that What powermill can do, mastercam is not near to it when it comes to Molds. Thats the reason I raised this topic to learn about strengths of softwares so we can use the right tool for the right job.

Any more users have something to share.

BLAH BLAh BLAH....... you also know that What powermill can do, mastercam is not near to it when it comes to Molds. Thats the reason I raised this topic to learn about strengths of softwares so we can use the right tool for the right job.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

What could it do better? :D

I've built 'lots' of molds in MasterCam for years. Split molds, assemblies (one thing I like about SW is when the files get into large assemblies, slides, ej pins, and such, MASTERCAM laggs). Other than that I could care less about what I draw it in. What makes a good mold programmer is someone that is efficient with toolpaths. Anyone could select all surfaces and run a 'generic' toolpath. Machine time is more valuable than programming time. So I would disect the mold and run the toolpaths that only need that specific radius or feature. :D