Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tools for 4140

If you're referring to the Varimill from Hanita, then yes, I use these on all types of steel.

I do a ton of 4140, 4150PHT, 4340, 8620, and 1018

As for speeds and feeds, depends on the type of cut you're doing, but you can start at S2500, and 25IPM.

Go up from there.

In 1018 material, I'm running them anywhere from S5500 F55IPM, to S6500 F65IPM with .100" stepover .800 deep.

If you're referring to the Varimill from Hanita, then yes, I use these on all types of steel.

I do a ton of 4140, 4150PHT, 4340, 8620, and 1018

As for speeds and feeds, depends on the type of cut you're doing, but you can start at S2500, and 25IPM.

Go up from there.

In 1018 material, I'm running them anywhere from S5500 F55IPM, to S6500 F65IPM with .100" stepover .800 deep.

I was planning on using them with a trochoidal motion...dynamic, peel, etc. The shop I just started at is using uncoated generic accupros and they just don't do much or hold up either. Id like to really blow their mind with some new cutters that last longer and create a higher level of throughput and capacity for the machines.

If you're coming from an uncoated Accupro, you're gonna love these!

I've been using them for years, and always seem to find ways to run them faster lol.

There isn't THAT much of a difference between 1018 and 4140, you could go S4000 F40IPM easily.

But I would start out slower and when you feel comfortable, just keep bumping it up.

I was planning on using them with a trochoidal motion...dynamic, peel, etc. The shop I just started at is using uncoated generic accupros and they just don't do much or hold up either. Id like to really blow their mind with some new cutters that last longer and create a higher level of throughput and capacity for the machines.

I've ran Dynamic Toolpaths on 4140 at 6800 RPM and 150IPM 1"DOC .05"WOC 1/2" Varimill, cuts like butter; you have to watch out for chip build up. You should give it a try Hanita endmills are great.