Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sawing lead

jeff

Our saw guy has to saw a 12 x 12 x 40 block of lead into a few pieces.

We're using a 2-3 pitch blade, they recommend fast rpm and slow feed, but it's not working too well, as it's cutting on an angle even though the saw is adjusted properly.

Scissor type band saw,flood coolant.

Anyone have any tips?

Coarsest blade u have, and very slow feed to allow chip evacuation and keep the guides up close and snugger than usual. Gramps used to use a block of some kinda wax lube or old school mineral spirits.Big pieces he would send out to a saw house or just melt down and pour into a wood mold. I guess rotary saws work pretty well on small stuff too.

Coarsest blade u have, and very slow feed to allow chip evacuation and keep the guides up close and snugger than usual. Gramps used to use a block of some kinda wax lube or old school mineral spirits.Big pieces he would send out to a saw house or just melt down and pour into a wood mold. I guess rotary saws work pretty well on small stuff too.

Yeah this is a super coarse blade, 2-3 teeth per inch, we are using super slow feed also.

What about the rpm's? Crank it up as fast as we can go? or slow to medium speed? Right now we have the saw cranked up on the rpm.

Yeah this is a super coarse blade, 2-3 teeth per inch, we are using super slow feed also.

What about the rpm's? Crank it up as fast as we can go? or slow to medium speed? Right now we have the saw cranked up on the rpm.

Get a skip tooth blade that is offset.....forget what the tech term is(teeth stick out wider than the blade body)That stuff actually cuts easy and doesn't wear out your blade, but the thing to worry about is heat. It makes it gummier and harder to cut.Jams up the blade. Gotta find the happy spot between cooling and rpm. I don't know how fast ur saw goes , but you don't want super hot chips coming off cuz that means it's gummier and jamming blade which is like having a dull blade.......cuts on angle :( Mine isn't all hands on with lead ,so it's about all i got

Feed pressure: there's usually a knob for hydraulic feed and then mebbe a sliding weight to keep the blade pressure on. The knob is for the speed of the down cut and the weights help keep the pressure to maintain it.