Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Arc Move Problems

I have a 2007 Haas VF4SS and I'm having a problem with the arc moves on the machine. The tool in a roughing cut will start to squeal going from Y neg to X neg and from a y pos to x pos arc moves. I've had our local repair guys come out and they said it was a bad tool holder and that seemed to fix my problem for a while. Now I'm trying to rough with a 1.25" 3 flute, Sandvik inserted cutter on a Capto holder and still getting the same squealing. I cannot figure it out. I'm only taking a 1" depth of cut and a 10% step over on dynamic core mill and 2500 rpm and .005 fpt. I'm starting to think this particular machine cannot take that heavy of cut and I should try the same tool path on the new machine I'm getting and see if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my 2 cents worth, so take it as you please, but I think what your problem could be is your being too hard on the machine. I am pretty sure the VF4 series only has a CT40 taper on it, so trying to hog out a 1" deep cut with a 1.25" cutter is too much for the spindle to handle. You really need a 50 taper machine for something like that, or use a smaller tool and lighter depth of cut.

Of course, if it is a 50 taper, then something else is wrong.

I have a 2007 Haas VF4SS and I'm having a problem with the arc moves on the machine. The tool in a roughing cut will start to squeal going from Y neg to X neg and from a y pos to x pos arc moves. I've had our local repair guys come out and they said it was a bad tool holder and that seemed to fix my problem for a while. Now I'm trying to rough with a 1.25" 3 flute, Sandvik inserted cutter on a Capto holder and still getting the same squealing. I cannot figure it out. I'm only taking a 1" depth of cut and a 10% step over on dynamic core mill and 2500 rpm and .005 fpt. I'm starting to think this particular machine cannot take that heavy of cut and I should try the same tool path on the new machine I'm getting and see if that makes any difference.

Maybe you should have your spindle taper checked. We have a 10 year old Kitamura 4x ,( CT 40 ), that has repeat heavy cut jobs on it and we noticed a difference in tool cutting sound and bad surface finishes. After speaking to the operators we found out there had been some unreported crashes. Turned out the spindle taper had been damaged. Had a company come in and grind it back true. Finishes are back and it sounds good. Had them check all of our Haas's, 3 of 9 needed ground. Made a difference. Might be worth a check as you said, "local repair guys come out and they said it was a bad tool holder" .

HTH