Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Upper Turret Lathe Tooling RH or LH?

Hi guys,

With your upper turret lathes are you guys using RH or LH tooling holders?

RH tooling, the insert is upside down when cutting, swarf falls down away from insert, cutting forces pulling the turret up away from bed.

LH tooling, insert is visible and cutting forces go down through the turret to the bed.

Personally when I was running Lathes I had LH tooling with the insert visible. Easier to change in cut and more visual for insert inspection.

Now I see more customers using RH tooling, maybe because they can use same tooling holders in there manual Lathes also.

Cheers Dave

I have usually gone with RH tools mainly because of large quantity production runs with very short cycle times. Single point threading would normally require a RH tool and would take too long to reverse spindle if the other tools were LH. I have run some flimsy entry level lathes that did benefit from LH tools to have the cutting forces go towards the machine bed. A rigid good quality brand lathe shouldn't require LH tools.

Like?

Chip flow doesn't have to go around the tool to get away from the cutting zone; the tool is between you and the piece in case you jerk it out of the chuck; fewer "back side" clearance issues with tool setters; spindle rotates in the same direction (M3) for drilling and turning operations...nothing Earth-shattering, but better IMO

C

With RH tooling in a "standard" turret lathe, the cutting forces direct the part DOWN (away from the door) in case of an insert failure or other action that pulls the part out of the chuck, while LH tools direct the part UP (toward the door). This is a minor factor, since I don't expect to be yanking the part out of the chuck on a regular basis, but it is still a factor.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

A good QUALITY lathe iThese days Is not going to "care". I donT think we've ever recommended one over the other. I'll use whatever, but I will stay consistent. If I start with RH I stay RH.