Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right Spindle C-axis programming MORI MT LATHE

ChrisD

Hello All.

It has been a very long time since I've posted a question on here. I am programming a MORI MT LATHE it has a left and right spindle both with c axis. It also has a b axis milling head for it's (top) turret, and a regular turret with some live tooling for the bottom turret. We also have a Licenced Post Processor from IN-House Solutions. Now that we have that out of the way I was wondering if someone could give som advice on programming the right spindle. I need to mill a pocket that needs to be oriented a certain way to the operations done in the left spindle. I am just confused on where to start. Do I need to create a "left tool plane" for it? because the tool will be facing the other way. I hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks

Chris D.

I have an Integrex with a similiar set up and yes I just use the left tool plane and leave my wcs set to top, and then just use my right upper or right lower axis combo's for toolpaths. My zero on the part in mastercam stays the same. I use macro math in the machine to move my zero between spindles. Let me know if you have more questions.

HTH

Thank you guys , for replying. I went ahead and did the left toolplane shift and it seemed to work. For clarity reasons, what I did in this particular program was I createed the geometry for the left spindle at system zero and translated the geometry for the right spindle to Z-10 and whatever toolplanes I create on the right side have a system point value of Z-10. That way I could program both sides in the same setup. Is this a common way of doing it or am I just making things more complicated for myself?

If your post handles it well I wouldn't see the problem and it would be easier than what I do,but Mazaks are funny with the way their work offset system is setup between turn and five axis work so I personally have all my planes have the same zero and use macros in my transfer to move my zero.

I have an Integrex with a similiar set up and yes I just use the left tool plane and leave my wcs set to top, and then just use my right upper or right lower axis combo's for toolpaths. My zero on the part in mastercam stays the same. I use macro math in the machine to move my zero between spindles. Let me know if you have more questions.

HTH

we have a hardinge 8/51sp msy, that i program the same way. i copy the m/s geo. to another level then translate it to z0 on l/h end of the part.

i use the parts transfer cycle in mc to move the part to the sub. and use l/h plane for all mill work on sub. wcs top

Ken,

I use stock transfer to get the part visually moved to the other spindle, having multiple geo in my book is no good. Assuming your axially milling in the sub, I'll copy the left toolplane and reassign the origin to the stock transfered position (face of part in sub) and give it g55.

This way you make any toolpath changes main or sub, and verify the part start to finish no prob.