Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Titanium Tooling Suggestions

yep. old school has yet to be exceeded. there is no argument possible on a strictly ease of method and CUIN/MIN basis. :coffee:

as far as 40 taper machines; it works here too. you can bury a 1.0-1.25 hogger on a Haas VF-2 with a gearbox, all week long.

there is geometry (i.e. semi roughing where burying a HSS tool are not possible) that better lend themselves to HSM methods.

so of course both have their place and application.

2" HSS roughers LOVE dynamic milling.

.625 stepover as deep as your LOC will allow!

For Ti, I use a 2" indexable kennametal rougher & cut the WOC down to .4, DOC>2" without blinking an eye, low and slow for sure, but the dynamic paths increase tool life by no less than 3x.

But we have older machines will big balls...and my workholding techniques are unmatched smoke.gif

You guys ever use dynamic with your HSS roughers?

Dynamic doesn't need to run at 1000 IPM to reap it's benefits.

Just remember sometimes going too slow will cause excessive heat and wear out tools. Faster is sometimes better. I usually adjust the step over and feed together to find the best tool life.

http://www.volumill....ite_Paper_1.pdf

Thanks. We got more tool life with the slower feedrate in this case. Maybe 125 IPM would work with a smaller stepover, but I was only going .015 with a 1/4 in 4 flute. 60 IPM at 5000 RPM seemed to work best. This stuff was especially hard.

2" HSS roughers LOVE dynamic milling.

.625 stepover as deep as your LOC will allow!

Keith, are you talking about Ti or just general metal removal? What speed and feed do you run with a 2" HSS rougher in dynamic milling with .625 stepover?

For Ti, I use a 2" indexable kennametal rougher & cut the WOC down to .4, DOC>2" without blinking an eye, low and slow for sure, but the dynamic paths increase tool life by no less than 3x.

4.0 IPM 250 RPM

Inserts last about 30 min minimum. (The path is almost like a peel mill, in the cut maybe 8-10 seconds, then it gets a 2-3 second break (slow backfeedrate)

The HSS cutter has more flutes and gets too hot in the Ti.