Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

okada rapid moves

Tim Pruett

I'm running an okada graphite milling machine with a fanuc control. Whenever the z rapids to the clearance plane, instead of going from point A to point B it splits the x and y axis into equal moves and then finishes the remainder of the longer side seperately. Heres an example of the code.

G0G49G80G90

T1M6

G0G90G59X4.Y-2.S14000M3

G43H1Z2.M10

G05P10000

G0G90X4.Y-2.

Z.1

G1Z-.25F100.

X-4.

Y2.

G0Z.1

X4.Y-2. (here is where it moves to approximately X0. Y-2. and then to X4. Y-2.)

G1Z-.5

X-4.

Y2.

G0Z2.

G05P0

M30

%

Anyone have any ideas. I'm pretty sure it's in the machine. The code looks fine to me. I ran a highspeed toolpath the other day using minimum retract and it gouged one the ears on my electrodes. I switched it to full retract and that worked but it took alot longer to run.

Thats call a dogleg rapid..

Some machines have parameters that let you turn it off or on.

Another option you can try with high speed toolpaths is the G01 rapid.

Set it at Min Distance, set a Part Clearance value you're comfortable with

check the Ouput feed move and set a feed rate that's as fast as your machine

will go.

Many machines rapid in this fashion; each axis runs at full speed during a rapid move resulting in a 45° move that lasts until the axis with the shorter distance to travel arrives at it's destination. The axis with the longer distance just continues it's path. I ran Monarch VMC-75's years ago that behaved this way. The downside to this type of rapid motion is that Mastercam does not verify this way resulting in an occasional crash with a clamp or other fixture hardware. Some controls can be configured with parameters to switch to "straight-line" rapid moves.