Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sub programs, combining and D comp

30rock*2

Two questions regarding sub programs.

When using a sub program, is it possible to use D comp in the main by having a D+ or D- value in the main? I have done this on a conversational controls but not using mastercam. If this is possible how do I achieve it?

Regarding similar geometry, such as a drilled hole having a center drill and drill tool sequences, how can I create a main program so both the tools follow the same sub-program geometry?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Similar geometry...

Usually in the sub you have the first hole and the canned cycle... if you were to try to use the same geometry, you'll have to get the canned cycle out of the sub and have it be in the main, otherwise, you'll be center drilling as deep as you're drilling and usually that's not the desired end result. In a nutshell... a fair amount of post work will need to be done. NOT a job for the novice post tweaker.

• 1 month later...

I have a question reguarding subprograms. I just recently started using them. I checked that as I added further operations the subprogram numbers would assend. I need this to be the case because we will load ops 1-3 all at once. what happens is if the subprogram in op 3 reuses p1004 again it will over write what op1's p1004 subrpogram was. I emailed my reseller, who is usually not that great at getting back to me. So in the mean time I thought I would ask here. I can get it to do the assending subprogram numbers about 50% of the time. The rest of the time it re uses a subrpogram number from one other operation before hand. I know it is probably something I am doing. I just don't know what.Just curious what other people seem to run into with more experience than myself.

Thanks,

Typically if you name OP1 program name O1000, the subs will increment from there O1001, O1002 and so on...

So if you name OP2 program O2000, the subs "should" be O2001, O2002

or am I missing something?

Typically if you name OP1 program name O1000, the subs will increment from there O1001, O1002 and so on...

So if you name OP2 program O2000, the subs "should" be O2001, O2002

or am I missing something?

well I name my programs 1,2,3 and so on. Maybe that is why... I am new this year to mastercam and have never used anything remotely as nice. So multiple ops are very new. I will try that.

I changed my post so the D is on the same line as H. For example: G43H200D200Z2. After that I would call the sub program. The last shop I worked in they used subs for EVERYTHING. Even sections of code that did not repeat. Kinda silly but they liked it. By posting the D call at the same time as the H before the sub was called you never had to put a work offset, diameter comp or H offset in a sub program. (I think that was a safe thing to do).