Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question about the WCS change for turning operations

sigmawave

Hello, everybody

I have a question about changing the WCS for different turning operations.

My millturn machine has left spindle and right spindle. When I'm programing the toolpaths, I prefer to use different WCS for turning operation different spindle.

For Milling operations, I can change the WCS easily. For turning, I can't figure out how to do that. But I know somebody can. I got a program from other guy. The turning operations are using 2 different WCS.

Another question which is regarding to the WCS is that I always get a warning message telling me I have WCS is different from stock view when I open the program. The operations using different WCS are the milling operations in fact. How can I avoid this message.

Thanks in advance.

Sigma

Well WCS an Mill-Turn is not really advised. I have done it and let's just say the of worms was opened was not fun. I will use different T-Planes and C-planes on Mill-Turns, but more than one WCS like on Multi-Axis machining I am squarely against it on Mill-Turns. If you have a sample file than I am sure someone can point you down the right path. Have you talked to your dealer about helping you on the process?

Well WCS an Mill-Turn is not really advised. I have done it and let's just say the of worms was opened was not fun. I will use different T-Planes and C-planes on Mill-Turns, but more than one WCS like on Multi-Axis machining I am squarely against it on Mill-Turns. If you have a sample file than I am sure someone can point you down the right path. Have you talked to your dealer about helping you on the process?

Thank you for your reply. Crazy^Millman.

I just want to ask a simple question. If I want to run the two spindles at same time. If all the operations are turning ones, I can use the "Coordinate" to setup the toolplan origins. So I can get the program origin-54 for Left spindle, G55 for right spindle. It means I can use the tool plane to get what I want.

In case of the milling operation are involved, I may use different tool planes for different milling operations. For example, I prefer to use the top face of the slant surface when I do a face milling (3-axis milling) on it. In such situation, I would like to make all operation on one side to have a common WCS. I can calculate the tool positions and vectors on one spindle (both milling and turning) to make them to be relative to the common WCS in post.

I hope I explained clearly.

Thanks again!

Most likely a copy of the top WCS with a new origin in the +X (world cs) direction.

Changing WCS only becomes problematic when rotating since the post is expecting the toolpath (NCI) values to come from the (world CS).

Just open up the WCS create a copy of the top, rename it sub spindle set the workofs number and select the new origin (or just type in the offset in the +X direction) of the part in the subspindle.

When toolpathing for the sub select that plane in the T/C box then your code for the subspindle will come out correctly relative to Z0.

HTH

Allan