Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Iscar Sumocham Drill

I have a job coming up that I need to drill many 14mm holes and we are going to try using Iscars Sumocham Drills. I would like to know some speeds and feeds you guys are using if possible. I am drilling 304L SS plate 3/4" thick. Thanks

I run about 200-250sfm with .008-.009"/rev for that size in 304.

Thar drill is realy nice, i think your going to be suprised when you see how much that thing can take. depending on coolent. id start at 200-250 ant a .008 chip but im shore you can double that...again depending on coolent, if its flood, thats mostlikly good if its through.... lets drill some holes!!!! :0)

• 3 weeks later...

OK.....Drilled 5 holes at 200 sfm, .008 ipr and wrecked my first drill head. Increased rpm and decreased feedrate and finished the first 5 the customer needed but the second drill head would not have made very many more holes. Am I missing something? I just don't think .008 or .009 ipr will work at all.

Edit...Second drill head drilled 25 holes

Something is majorly wrong. Are you doing this in a mill or lathe? You need under .001" TIR for these things, it really matters (or for any drill for that matter :sleeping: )

You have tsc?

I just drilled over 1000" worth of 304 in my lathe with a .625" sumo cham at 250sfm and .008"/rev on one head, its a bit worn, but I plan on running another couple hundred inches or more before I swap it out. I have the most pathetic excuse for TSC, factory Mazak pump, well under 50 psi, so I do a peck about .8" in to clear the chips our before going all the full 1.125" deep.

No tsc but I had plenty of coolant flowing. I will have to check the tir tomorrow. The machine is a HAAS vf6 that is only about 2 years old with not allot of use. I was curious about the peck. Seems like it sounded awesome when the drill was first entering in the Mat. but as soon as it got in deep it was making scary noises. My first peck was .25 but I went to .15 on the second drill head. TSC seems to make a big difference just judging by some of the videos I have seen.

No tsc but I had plenty of coolant flowing. I will have to check the tir tomorrow. The machine is a HAAS vf6 that is only about 2 years old with not allot of use. I was curious about the peck. Seems like it sounded awesome when the drill was first entering in the Mat. but as soon as it got in deep it was making scary noises. My first peck was .25 but I went to .15 on the second drill head. TSC seems to make a big difference just judging by some of the videos I have seen.

You need TSC. I wouldn't go over 1xD without TSC with that drill. IF I had to I would likely peck. I know most people say no pecking in SS, I do it all the time and don't have tool life issues... You need you have oil down in the hole or else you are going to have a ton of heat on the cutting edge, especially with .008"/rev.

You need TSC. I wouldn't go over 1xD without TSC with that drill. IF I had to I would likely peck. I know most people say no pecking in SS, I do it all the time and don't have tool life issues... You need you have oil down in the hole or else you are going to have a ton of heat on the cutting edge, especially with .008"/rev.

Our next machine is going to have TSC for sure. I think I will try going back to .008/rev. and just lighten way up on the peck. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...