Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Auto align B-axis (rotary axis) using probe

powerfulp

On a fanuc-based CNC horizontal machining center, I have a job where I need to tram each part straight in the B-axis (to get part perpendicular to spindle c/l, or parallel to spindle face). I have a probe for this machine and I'm sure it is possible to probe the face and have the machine automatically align the work-piece the way I want it, I just don't know how to go about doing something like this...does anyone have a generic program I could start with or point me in the right direction? It is a renishaw probe.

Thanks for any help...

The Macro is a start, but I have seen on some machine they have to go through a cycle move to apply the change. I wrote a logic in the post to output a check statement after doing a B axis align. The machine would run the macro then move the B axis a set amount then put it back at the new position with the fixture offset applied. Then the machine would do a check to make sure it was taken correctly. If it was it would run the program, if it was not it would run the probing routine again and recheck till it was correct. Think about this when doing this type of work, som probing routines are on the fly and some need some hand holding to take effect.

We typically handle our probing in sub programs. Below is a snip of one that does what your asking on our Haas Horizontal (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK). First off we bring the probe to the center of work at .400 (or 10 mm ) from surface. The P9817 variables are as follows, X is the length you wish the probe to travel overall, it will move half the distance either side of where it is positioned originally. In the example below we had a very short 1.75 oal part surface. The Z value is the expected Z surface. The B value is allowed deviation before alarm. The S is the work coordinate for the new 4th axis value ( G57 A in this case) S1=G54, S2=G55 and so on. As millman pointed out it is important to call a G57 G90 A whatever to re-establish the proper alignment afte this probe.

O01000 (PROBE ANGLE)

M50 P2

T1 M06

M09

G57 G90 G00 X0. Y0.5 A0. T3

G43 H01 Z15.

G65 P9833 (TURNS PROBE OFF)

G65 P9832 (TURNS PROBE ON)

G65 P9810 X0.9 Z0.4 F100. (PROTECTED MOVE)

(Probe ANGLE Surface)

G00 G90

G65 P9817 X1.65 Z0. B0.3 S4

(PULL BACK)

G65 P9833 (TURNS PROBE OFF)

G90 G00 Z12. A0.

G28 G91 Y0. Z0.

M99

On a fanuc-based CNC horizontal machining center, I have a job where I need to tram each part straight in the B-axis (to get part perpendicular to spindle c/l, or parallel to spindle face). I have a probe for this machine and I'm sure it is possible to probe the face and have the machine automatically align the work-piece the way I want it, I just don't know how to go about doing something like this...does anyone have a generic program I could start with or point me in the right direction? It is a renishaw probe.

Thanks for any help...

It's pretty easy, in fact, as I recall there was an example proram in an old Reinshaw manual doing just this.

Say you want to probe the part in 2 locations and align them parallel.

Probe the first spot, and store that Z value at some convenient location, let's say #A

Probe the second spot and store that location at #B

Now, just increment the B axis work offset by the Atan of (A-B)/D (distance between a and B)

Then run it again to check.

It's pretty easy, in fact, as I recall there was an example proram in an old Reinshaw manual doing just this.

Say you want to probe the part in 2 locations and align them parallel.

Probe the first spot, and store that Z value at some convenient location, let's say #A

Probe the second spot and store that location at #B

Now, just increment the B axis work offset by the Atan of (A-B)/D (distance between a and B)

Then run it again to check.

I have no idea why the letter bee is showing up as happy faces. WTF