Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc data server

medaq

We recently picked up a 2000 matsuura pc5 es450II I am wondering if anyone is experienced with the data server. The manual is kinda un clear on some stuff. Can i transfer programs from control to the data server? That would get me around my next question, if I can ftp the main control and the move it to the data server that would help me temporarily. The other question is how to communicate to it. I know you need to use ftp program, but it does not have a ethernet connection, it has a 15 pin cd27 ? connection? Can i hook up a rj45 and then communicate through the ethernet through an ip?>

Thanks jim

We recently picked up a 2000 matsuura pc5 es450II I am wondering if anyone is experienced with the data server. The manual is kinda un clear on some stuff. Can i transfer programs from control to the data server? That would get me around my next question, if I can ftp the main control and the move it to the data server that would help me temporarily. The other question is how to communicate to it. I know you need to use ftp program, but it does not have a ethernet connection, it has a 15 pin cd27 ? connection? Can i hook up a rj45 and then communicate through the ethernet through an ip?>

Thanks jim

The 15 pin is an aui connector. In short go buy this... Black Box . Com

Basically from how I understand it AUI is legacy ethernet / an old intermediate connection that is no longer part of a 10baseT ethernet device.

Husker

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
We recently picked up a 2000 matsuura pc5 es450II I am wondering if anyone is experienced with the data server.

What control?

The manual is kinda un clear on some stuff. Can i transfer programs from control to the data server?

Usually this is accomplised by changing your I/O channel to 5, then in edit mode, "punch" the program. Again, it will depend on what control you have.

...if I can ftp the main control and the move it to the data server that would help me temporarily.

FTP is for communicating to the Dataserver. COmmunicating to the control is going to be either through the card slot in front or through RS-232 (shudder)

The other question is how to communicate to it. I know you need to use ftp program, but it does not have a ethernet connection, it has a 15 pin cd27 ? connection? Can i hook up a rj45 and then communicate through the ethernet through an ip?>

Thanks jim

Like husker said, you need the AUI (or is it AAUI :headscratch: ) anyway, I've seen two types, one with RJ-45, and the other with a BNC connector. I woudl shy away from BNC as it is an ancient interface which requires connectorsn a terminators... plus getting a BNC network adapter these days will probably be pretty tough. Go with the RK-45 that way you'll at least be compatible with the majority of the networks out there.

You'll have to configure the IP address for the machine and I'll need to know what control you have to walk you throug that process.

HTH

BTW, this is what Fanuc told me to buy. We are having an older machine upgraded with data server, and when they started the install (had to stop because they need another option board chassis) I was looking at the board and asked how I was going to hook into it... as our other machine with data server has ethernet directly into the data server. The tech called his support group and they said to go there and get that box, and that is all I would need in combination with generic FTP software.

Husker

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That must be an old HDD dataserver. All the Dataservers for the i Series controls use Flash Memory.

AAUI connector... man that takes me WAY back to when I worked for Mori in the mid-90's. The older Dataservers were pretty cool in that you could swap them from machine to machine pretty easile as you just plugged it into an open slot (where a drive card woudl go) and you were done. Today, not so easy. I mean I've installed them in newer controls but it's not as straight forward as it once was. When they went to the i Series, it made a LOT of things easier but a few things got harder. Installing a dataserver was one fo them. Though I would not go back to that old architecture for anything. It's big, it' slow, etc...

That must be an old HDD dataserver. All the Dataservers for the i Series controls use Flash Memory.

AAUI connector... man that takes me WAY back to when I worked for Mori in the mid-90's. The older Dataservers were pretty cool in that you could swap them from machine to machine pretty easile as you just plugged it into an open slot (where a drive card woudl go) and you were done. Today, not so easy. I mean I've installed them in newer controls but it's not as straight forward as it once was. When they went to the i Series, it made a LOT of things easier but a few things got harder. Installing a dataserver was one fo them. Though I would not go back to that old architecture for anything. It's big, it' slow, etc...

Yeah it is for a '97 mori... Anyway, they don't make the HDD dataserver anymore so it has a flash memory hard drive now. But the data server board itself apparently hasn't changed for this control. Interesting how they do stuff.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
... Interesting how they do stuff.

That's no lie. From time to time I need to get into the control hardware and I'm always amazed. Gotta hand it to FANUC; they may not be bleeding edge, but dayum they are reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the black box, installed it. Assigned its ip. I can ping the ip just fine. I know I am very close. But man I think I have tried everything. I setup filezilla. And have done everything I know and have read on the internet to try and communicate directly to the data server through ftp. I can send to the control through rs232 and upload it into the data server, but the control memory is low, which will limit what i can do severly.

What I dont get, you have 2 pages for setting up the ftp to the control, is one of those pages, the ip on the computer I am trying to communicate from?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What you have to remember is there 's 2 places to set up IP information. One on the Embeded side, the other is the Dataserver (Board)M If you're making settings changes to the embedded side, it won't affect the dataserver side.

So, if you can ping it, it's there - goood thing. There's probably something on the COMMON screens that's not being set, there's like 4 or 5 pages in those menus. On the ftp screen, you have the opporrtunity to set up 3 different locatios for the Dataserver to connect to or channels if you will.

Right now I only see 2 pages. I know the newer versions had some embedd function. but this one does not seem to have it.

Right now I go to system -> ds-set to see my 2 pages.

Page 1

data server setting-1

(host-computer)

ip address 192.168.1.26 ( right now this is the computer I am trying to send from )

user name pc5

password

host directory

page 2

data server setting-2

(data server)

mac address misc gibberish :D

ip address 192.168.1.49

mask address 255.255.255.0

Jim

What you have to remember is there 's 2 places to set up IP information. One on the Embeded side, the other is the Dataserver (Board)M If you're making settings changes to the embedded side, it won't affect the dataserver side.

So, if you can ping it, it's there - goood thing. There's probably something on the COMMON screens that's not being set, there's like 4 or 5 pages in those menus. On the ftp screen, you have the opporrtunity to set up 3 different locatios for the Dataserver to connect to or channels if you will.