Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

45 degree angled head

peon

Wow Daniel, you explained that better than my coworker! :thumbup: I only pull trodes and make model mods in Pro/e. I toolpathed with it a few years ago for a couple months and hated it and brought in the Mastercam package since I was very familiar with it. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about Pro/e and struggled. Now that I am more familiar with the package, perhaps I should give it another shot toolpathing.

Now that I am more familiar with the package, perhaps I should give it another shot toolpathing.

Well, I'd recommend anyone to learn Pro/NC as a way to value other products... The product is robust, but at the cost of hundreds of headaches and a steeeeeeeeeep learning curve... it took me 2.5 years to start to master it... after 6 years I can say I learn new things and workarounds in a often basis...

Pro/NC is a fat old lady with some nice moves, but she is very shy on HSM and innovation when it comes to toolpaths... for CAD and as a parametric CAM, it is awesome... I'd say unbeatable in certain areas...

But if you ask me "show me the money", I'm afraid I would end up speechless... :whistle:

I read once somewhere a guy saying "I wish my enemies had to use Pro/NC" and I agree with him... :ice: - In my heart I'm a Pro/NC fanboy, but I know it sucks for a lot of things... :harhar:

Cheers

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Unless I'm missing something very important, this it what I did with a SmartCAM post about 15-20 years ago, and same would apply now.

I just got my hands on a Madaula Angle Head and will be modifying the post to support it.

The post will be modified the following way:

- if the Tplane/Cplane is at a different angle then the WCS, this will indicate the use of the Angle Head;

- Prompt for the tool length which will be added to the pivot distance.

- The calculated tip point coordinate in Mastercam will be "backed up" along the tool axis according to the 2 potential rotary angles (by trig functions);

- The outputted code will be that of the heads pivot position.

- voilà

On the other hand, I know that the router posts make good use of the Flex Aggregate Heads and will adjust outputted code according to the C-Axis angle and the Tilt angle as Colin suggests. Maybe just add the Router post logic into the Mill post.

Just my 2%!!!

eapprentice used to have sample video on this subject. I have done this before with a router post,MD,CD before. If I remember right you have to change the heading in the router post to the same as a mill post in order to be recognized by the mill product.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Luc,

The document covers converting a Mill Post to a Router Post, but you can do the instructions in reverse to convert from Router to Mill. This document is part of the MP Documentation Portfolio, which is available for download from the Extranet. If you don't have Extranet access, you'll have to request a copy from your Reseller. I've got to follow our company protocol regarding our documentation.

Thanks,