Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1/8 EM in 4140A, drill corners or not?

I have an inner profile that requires the corners be finished with an 1/8" EM. Material is 4140 Annealed. I have had plenty of problems trying to cut steels with 1/8" EMs. I think I drilled the corners before with 1/8" EM to reduce the load in the corners but it wastes a lot of time.

It is programmed right now to do full depth (.300) and run multi passes with about 15% radial engagement. I would prefer to remove the drilling unless absolutely needed. I am sure I could add passes but at some point, it started to make more sense to drill since that is where the tool would break, in the corner.

edit: My error. I apparently screwed up when naming the drill operation. As I decided to just plunge mill the corners with the 1/8" EM, I realized I already thought to do that last time but named it "drill" instead of "plunge mill". We should be just fine with this in this case. roughly a 30% engagement in the plunge. Notes say it worked fine last batch.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Not to seem pessimistic but I have just never had good luck with radial feeding with small endmills. I try to plunge where I can to get rid of some material. In this operation, there is only about 30sec of work for this EM. Anyone want to post a pic of what an optimized corner clean up would look like? I also need to feather it in in which I typically just use lead in/out and adjust to make a nice transition.

When I way 15% engagement, that is measured in verify in the corner. However, I realize that when the tool turns, you effectively double that engagement for an instant when changing direction.