Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Library Setup

McRae

Mill/Turn setup machine, explicitly defining tools, the Mastercam Interface doesn't properly allow for defining Combined Drills and Countersinks (per ANSI B94.11M-1979,R1987).

Basically, I have a #8 Center drill that I want to define as a mill tool in the Integrex Tool Library. Trying to open the "Centerdrill" option, there is a ton of information missing.

For example, reference your Machinery's Handbook and look up the Centerdrills (in the 25th, it is found on page 844), the body diameter of 3/4, drill Diameter is 5/16, Drill Length is 5/16, and overall length is 3-1/2.

If there is anyone who can help, please post a reply. This is quite important as I need to define a specific profile.

A second part to the question is, how do you define step drills and reamers - ie, hydraulic port tools and bodies???

EDIT: Information on the tools supplied in the BIG.TL9 is not correct to the standard.

[ 07-11-2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Have you tried to create your own profile using UNDEFINED and creating the geometry for it, (either in a level or another MC9 file)? Not sure if it will work with mill/turn, but it might be a start. You could also modify the c'drill's mc9 file to match what you've got on your #8 c'drill.

'Rekd

Rek'd (Matt isn't it???)

I have raised the issue more to the point that there is not enough fields to define what is considered a standard tool and if you have a standard tool and the information that is shipped with Mastercam isn't correct to that standard, then it should be correct.

I will attempt to use the undefined and go that route as a "Work Around" and report my progress.

All this free tech support that we supply into the product should at minimum warrent a fridge magenet eh? (IHS are you listening??)

[ 07-11-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Andrew

We use the ? tools a lot, typically creating a file, not using the "tool on a level" option unless it is a phony tool that I'm creating for a workaround for a specific job.

We have port tools, custom groove mills, unusual chamfer mills, lathe-tool-as-a-milling-cutter tools, and so-on defined this way. The only pain in the as$ is that it still shows the ? after the tool is defined; I'd like to see the tool represented.

C

[ 07-11-2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

That's how I found Myself handling it also just as all you have stated,Custom tools.I draw the Inserts drills,Thread mills, Port tools etc.

I draw them once and Merge them in the file on some level(I draw them on upper levels like 20 and above).That way when I move the file the custom tool goes with it,which is a nice feature.

By the way the new Verfiy actually shows a helix now in the Lathe when Threading(before it was Just rings)

I agree that the common center drill cannot be defined without drawing it in it's own .MC9 file. mad.gif

I'm certain that I was told during the sales courtship that MC handled them easily.

When they are drawn with holder and defined fully, they back plot accurately. cool.gif