Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal mill static turning

mr801

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Usually you don't have enough RPM on the table to do it correctly/effectively.It's a little on the complicated side. You need to do some figuring on how many rotations, feed in Y, etc... It is doable though.

I remember when the NH4000 first came out, Ellison had one at Westec. They were using the direct drive rotary table to do some finish turning on a big "impeller" (just a demo part). The finish looked OK, but I never saw it actually cut. I think you could run into some real problems since the machine doesn't have any locking mechanism for the C axis other than spindle orientation.

Ahh...

Not long ago we were looking into a DMC 340 FD and that would enable us to do it... but we gave up... the machine itself is cool for a lot of things, but very limited when it comes to I.D. machining...

Never had a chance to do it... hope someday I have a chance...

Tks

Daniel

+1 to what Joe said about spindle orientation. You would need to come up with some mechanism to lock the spindle. Something similar to what keeps a angle head oriented should work.

Mike

We have bigplus with the spindle orientation slot for tool holders. Thats what made me think of it. The only thing I could think of is what the finish would look like and get the part of in a decent amount of time. The Part is a 8in. Dia. 15in long with some faces, pockets, tapped holes in different orienting positions. Just trying to do the "done in one" approach.