Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface finish parallel X5

uncle_dolan

surface finish parallel.bmp

Hi everyone,

Having a little difficulty with a toolpath. I'm using surface finish parallel in X5 to clean up a section of a cyclindrical face in a channel feature. I have selected the inside surfaces of the channel as check geom. with 0 stock to leave. I've set the stepover to 0.5mm, and when I generate the toolpath, it is leaving 0.5mm on the inside faces of the channel (see image). If I change the stepover to say 0.25mm, it leaves 0.25mm on the inside faces. I may need to use a different toolpath, but if I am using this one incorrectly could someone please point out to me where I am going wrong!

Many thanks in advance! Brendan

Hello Brendan2340,

I would use a containment boundary instead of the vertical check surfaces.

edit:/

Whoops,

That won't always do what you want. I believe that this is just how Parallel works. I think that most people would either trim the surface or follow up with a surface project. You could also use another toolpath.

Hello Brendan,

I am sorry, my mistake(bad memory). As mentioned above, I believe that you must trim the surface or follow up with project contour for the walls. As you know, this is a hassle.

I just did some testing on the following, and here is what I have found. In order to cut this geometry directly(no surface trimming/building), your main choices are: 1)Surface Finish Constant Scallop, 2)Surface High Speed(Scallop) and for nice zig zag patterns, 3)2D NCI project(pocket zig-zag) and 4)Surface Finish Blend.

For what you are doing, it looks like the Surface Finish Blend or Surface Finish Project(2D pocket) would be best. For Surface Finish Blend, simply create two lines near the walls. They should be located a tool radius away from the wall. Along 2D should be fine, as all you need is a 2D project(please also test 3D).

For Surface Project, create a 2D pocket zig-zag at zero depth, turn the posting off(Ghost it). After that, create a Surface Finish Project operation. Select NCI and pick your pocket op in the source op window.

let us know how it works,

Thanks