Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zig Zag question.

DavidJackson

Man i am hopeless at explaining things,

I.e. if that path was surface parallel, the lines would obviously be parallel, stepping in the Y+ direction by the stepover amount in this part,

In the showen part, instead of going Y0, X0->X100 conventional then Y(0+stepover), X100->X0 climb,

it would move the stepover amount(Y) at the same time as the X movement, to create

a zig-zag looking path with no y move at the end, (i.e. have a constantly changing engagement angle.)

Assuming you want the cut to start at X + and move up and down in Y while stepping over in the X - direction.

Draw a line at the right side of your geo 1/2 your cutter up in Z.

Switch to the right T/C plane.

Contour the line, set comp to off, use ramp with whatever depth you want the "stepover" to be and set your depth (linking params) to the overall width of your part.

Backplot that path & save the backplot as geo.

Switch back to Top T/C plane and now you can just chain the geo you created from backplot.

You will have to delete the lines created by retracts & maybe tweak a couple other things.

BTW I got your explanation on the 1st post, Good luck following my explanation... lol

How about a surface finish blend?

use two chains at the upper & lower edge of the surface as the blend curves, in the finish blend parameters set the cutting method to spiral, to keep the tool from retracting go to the gap settings, set the gap size to 5000% and I set the gap motion to direct. B)

Hey thanks kindly guys, much appreciate your time.

Matthew,

Just to learn something new really, It seemed like it should be possible and that hopefully It would lead on to learning something else and so on, My learning trail had gone a bit stale lately.

Thanks again for your input.