Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nethasp not releasing license

Tom Vanderbilt

We just converted our mill and lathe seats over to a nethasp for flexibility, and we added two more mill licenses. (All V9.1 SP1 Lev3 w/solids)

I installed the nethasp on a W2K server, running as a service. The problem we have ran into numerous times already, is that the license manager isn't releasing a license when one of the users closes MC. The only work around so far has been to stop and start the hasp service. Once you do that, all is well - but I don't want to be doing that 5 or 6 times a day.

I spoke with the support folks at CNC and they seemed to think Aladdin has some more work to do. I just wanted to run this by everone here to get your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

Are you using the monitor prog avail from Aladdin. It tells you what computer has what licence. I have only seen problems with the nethasp holding licences where mastercam has crashed on that box where licences are not being released.

Allan

I would suggest installing the liscense manager on a machine the is NOT a server on the network. This is described in the Mastercam Network Licensing.doc residing in you Mcam root directory.

quote:

Setting up the NetHASP server for Windows 95 / 98 / NT / 2000:

1. Select a computer that will be the NetHASP server. Again, it’s best not to select the network server.

We had minor issues with our NetHasp when our IT guy installed it on a server. rolleyes.gif We would ocaisionally need to restart the service when it was configured that way. I've since re-installed on a plain vanilla machine on the network (same node, btw) and it's been rock solid ever since.

hth

-KLG

Allen, I did attempt to use the monitor app, unfortunatly, the install program would not work, and since I had the same problem up front with the LMsetup executable, I just didn't feel like "fooling" with it.

To explain, the LMsetup that comes on the 9.1 Mar 2003 CD would not run on my server. CNC had me to download a newer version from Aladdin's ftp site. It installed as expected.

As you can see, I have not had a pleasant experience so far with the Aladdin, and the nethasp.

Keith, I will try installing it somewhere else if push comes to shove, but I would really like to leave it where it is if possible. It just doesn't make sense to me that it would not be stable on a higher platform than w2k pro or win98.

Just to add to that, I re-read the .doc file, and did not see anywhere in it not to install on a server class machine. My doc just says select a computer. Conversly I agree that it doesn't mention W2k server OS by name either.

Anyway, I couldn't tell if your quote from the doc file was including a comment from you or not. And mine doesn't read like your quote.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Tom

tom,

i would have to agree with kieth on not installing hasp on you server.i have 4 seats of mill level 3 w/solids,the net hasp is installed on a stable box out on the floor.we have been running perfectly in this set up.i also remember reading about it stating to not install on the server.i would have to dig to find it tho.

hth,just another opinion from some one who is actually running a net hasp.

best of luck,

trevor

I remember reading about not installing the NetHASP on the server, too. I think it was in the NetHASP documentation on the v8.1 CD.

As far as I remember, the reason stated was that leaving it on a PC on the network would allow one license to be used if the network was down. While I don't think that was mentioned, there is a good chance the sysadmin will be using the server if the network is down.