Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Import / Export tools

K2csq7

Happy Monday Everyone.

I don't have a need to do this often, so I haven't spent any time trying.

I have 1 mcam file with 8 or so tools defined.

I would like to use that same group of tools for a new file, what is the best way to go about this?

I don't need to save them as a library or anything like that, just want to take all the tools from one file and copy them to a new file.

Only way (doesn't seem like a bad option) I can think of is to rename the file that has the tools, delete all operations & geo, leaving the tools. Is there a better way? Something like copy/paste?

TIA!

(This can be moved to the industrial forum....Oops!)

Thanks Gcode, that wasn't so bad.

First time I tried to save the "new" library it kicked an error, 2nd try went fine.

Then when opening that library in the new file I got "Corrupt or invalid file, Contact your reseller".

2nd attempt worked fine.

I keep a temp file in my tool library just for this purpose. Copy the tools to the temp file from the old MC file, then copy the tools from the temp file to the new MC file. Works great for just copying one or two tools from the original instead of the entire tool file.

Had a feeling trying something new would bite me.

Creating a new tool (general turning) or modifying one already there (trying change to compensation point on tool def params tab to center of radius )

both give the same error

"only 2 colors must be used in the custom tool MCX file"

no custom tools at all here.....

Any ideas?

(I altered a mssnl 206 D to be a mssnl 246 D holder by changing some numbers in the "holder geo" section of the holder tab in the tool def, now I am trying to put the comp point at center of radius and that is where I get the error)

Now I don't know if this will work for lathe (and I'm too chicken to try :D ), but I discovered a useful method for getting mill tools direct from another MCX file.

Go to your tool manager (from Toolpaths menu or the Files page in the Machine Properties). Press the button to select a different tool library as usual. Set the file type to All Files, find and select your MCX part file and hey presto your tools appear in the library list :)