Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Single point threading in 6063-t6

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a decent thread in 6063-t6 aluminum and I'm not being too successful. I'm getting torn threads.

It's an M10 x 1.25 thread (pitch dia. = .358)

I've used Kennametal top notch inserts and sandvik lay down inserts with RPM's of between 250 and 1000 (slower seems better).

Varying depth of cuts and varying last cuts and varying spring/clen up passes.

I've used soluble oil coolant and Oemeta hycut cutting oil.

I'm going to try a ground finish Iscar threading tool now and may try WD30, kerosene or any other friggin liquid (might try diet coke next, but not my Anjeo rum) to try and get a smooth thread.

Has anyone had success cutting this crap material? Help, please, help.

Wish I had a Landis too to try. I'm getting so frustrated with this thread. I've tried just about everything I can think of short of freezing the part before machining.

We have a crazy_millman I need a crazy_threadman's help[ on this one.

If you have a tool & cutter grinder,take a diamond wheel with an 1/8" or 1/16" radius (size depending on insert size) and grind a slot parallel with the leading edge of the insert. You want to grind right up to the edge so there is only .001 - .002 land at the edge. The radius of the slot should be 15 to 20 degrees positive rake where it meets the edge. If you can do this, the chip will tend to flow down the radius and not pile up so bad on the insert. You still need to take very shallow cuts (.0005 or so) and use something like Acculube LB-2000. Like I said before, not perfect but you can get there.

I understand. It sticks to the insert then pulls chunks out of the material. The method I described is a pain in the butt, but we have machined threads this way on some NASTY refractory alloys that are soft and gummy. And, they are abrasive as well. You gotta love it.

We don't have a way to grind that here anymore and my eyes aren't what they once were to hand grind the tool. I do appreciate the tip though.

I would try getting a PCD threading tool. Diamond tools are wicked sharp and would cut through that stuff like butter. Also, how may passes are you taking? Lots of light cuts is going to be your best bet.

It's cutting in 18 passes now and ran last night with no problems. What a day yesterday fighting this crap.

I really think the main solutions were getting the cutting speed up high enough and smaller passes. Sharp tool played a part for sure and I'll get a PCD insert if we get this job again.