Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Esprit User Trying to Adapt to Mastercam

sclover84

First I don’t want to upset all the Mastercam users so please don’t be offended by my post. I have been an Esprit user for 10 years and recently got a new job and my new employer is a Mastercam user so I am learning the new software on my own. I have gone trough all the free lathe tutorials and still have a lot of questions and feel I haven’t covered anything thing I want to. I have two lathes with live tooling and a Y axis, when you go through the tutorials they don’t cover advanced machining for live tooling. I also feel like Mastercam doesn’t have as many luxuries as Esprit did for customizing tool paths and features. It just seems like there are less options with Mastercam, has anyone else out there been in my position before? Does anyone have any advice for switching software’s?

Thanks,

I am used to Esprit 2012 with all the works for MillTurn and Mold

Bummer.

I also feel like Mastercam doesn’t have as many luxuries as Esprit did for customizing tool paths and features. It just seems like there are less options with Mastercam

It may seem like that now. But once you get more into it you'll find there is a way to do pretty much anything. What machines are you programming for?

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Nice first post.

Like John, I'd reccommend getting sme formal training from the dealer as soon as is feasible. You'll save a LOT of time and frustration.

• 3 years later...

Depending on the features that you are trying to create the programming can be very simple.  Focus on the Caxis toolpaths.  There are four main ones Face Milling/Drilling and Cross Milling/Drilling.  You should not have to manipulate any WCS settings in order to get the CAxis to rotate.  Also for Face milling be sure to set Misc Value #4 (G112) to get interpolated output.

I don't think you upset anyone with the respectful way that you approached the question.  Learning a different system is difficult.  Mastercam can do it, just a matter of learning it.