Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chaining Tolerances

GPC_CNC

I have a small problem in some CAM files where if for whatever reason there might be a small gap in the wireframe chain, a loop won't chain properly. Other than recreating the geometry (which can be time consuming on larger wireframes) the solution is to raise the chaining tolerance (+.0005) to allow it to jump the gap. Problem is, the next time I open the CAM file (after restarting mastercam or the computer), the system chaining tolerance is reset to .0001. This means that all the chains I selected before with a higher tolerance don't work anymore and if I regenerate for whatever reason, I have to go back and re-chain anything that was previously selected.

What I'm looking for is some kind of setting that allows any previously chained items to remain chained with whatever tolerance or setting it was chained with regardless of my current settings. I would like to keep my tolerance low so I can find these gaps, but sometimes it's not practical to fix these gaps, particularly in 3D curves. My current solution is to lock any toolpath that has a gaped chain so I don't accidently regenerate and have to waste time re-chaining everything, but I'd like something a little more permanent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum, can you provide a step by step example, maybe with a screenshot or 2, or attach a simple file here that displays the chaining problem?

Getting the geometry drawn correctly is the correct way do fix this. Not sure about all the specifics, but if you toolpath endpoints that aren't proper, your machine control could possibly interpret an arc incorrectly causing you all kinds of grief.

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum, can you provide a step by step example, maybe with a screenshot or 2, or attach a simple file here that displays the chaining problem?

Getting the geometry drawn correctly is the correct way do fix this. Not sure about all the specifics, but if you toolpath endpoints that aren't proper, your machine control could possibly interpret an arc incorrectly causing you all kinds of grief.

The detail is so small it's hard to even see, basically from a few rads that don't blend together nicely from overuse of the fillet tool in solidworks. These are customer supplied files. They are 3d curves that I'm using for 3D contour paths. They are not terribly easy to mend and the tool path posts fine. It's just when I re-open the file that the chaining goes out the window and I have to re-do it. Most of the time I'll just copy out the geometry and fix it, but sometimes it's just not practical.

Greg