Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

32 or 64

mwc815

In a small shop with 5 seats of X6. All pc's run XP. Looking into upgrading to Win7. Not sure that all the computers will support 64bit. Have a couple questions. Will X6 32bit open X6 64bit files? Will X6 64bit open X6 32bit files? I see that 64bit won't let you save backwards. Can you still save as different file types? That is, can I save as a .dwg or .x_t file and then open that in a 32bit computer? I would prefer to keep everything the same, but more memory is good.

Thanks, Mike

it doesn't work like that.

a mastercam file is a mastercam file, whether it was drawn on a 64bit OS or a 32bit.

If your computer is 64bit capable, then absolutley get win7 64 bit without hesitation.

if not for any other reason, it will allow you to add a lot more RAM than a 32bit OS would ever let you.

32bit OS will only allow you 4GB of RAM max (3.2-ish gb useable)