Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Z depth at backplot end

CarbonCAD

I have noticed that at the end of back plotting that the z depth in the bottom left hand corner is not any where near anything I have in that operation. It is a 2D contour going .250 deep and everything is set to absolute. See the attached pictures. That makes me wonder if it is related to my other problem which is my tool sheet is not showing the correct z. It shows MIN Z: 2.87. Both are the same operation. This can't be too complicated. What am I missing?

Edit: Now I see that the backplot number is from the top wcs. Same with the tool sheet.

Is there any way to get the toolsheet to come off the operation's current wcs?

post-21450-0-76662700-1351093209_thumb.jpg

post-21450-0-67192000-1351093223_thumb.jpg

What "tool sheet" are you referring to? The X+ tool list?

I also see a different number in Z than what is supposed to be at the very end of backplot. It's the very last step where the Z number changes. I've seen that for as long as I can remember. The code posts fine and I've never taken the time to investigate it. I've only done up to 3 axis programming and I have a solid understanding of the WCS. Not sure what is causing it, but I quit paying attention to it years ago.

EDIT: Just took a look at a file. It's like it wants to display the tool position from the top wcs, regardless of what wcs is currently being used. As I mentioned before, it doesn't affect the posted code. I'm pretty sure I've seen this since V9.

Thad

I am using the ActiveReports tool sheet, and I double checked my wcs and it looks correct.

Thad, just as you said, I see in the last step the z changes. The problem with this is that it is putting the last step z number into my toolsheet instead of what the machine sees for the last z depth. The guys running the program would really like it to put the MIN Z number in the sheet and it be correct. I think that in most circumstances we run into in the shop it is not completely necessary, but on our Makino with many line segments instead of arc moves and combined with features with very close z depths it would be helpful.

Anyone have ideas? Maybe calculated values in the tool sheet?

• 3 months later...

+1 for solve this issue. Today i noticed that backplot min/max values are calculated in coordinate system with which is current toolpath's WCS binded by delta values of origin point. I always check Zmin values to be sure to prevent collision, but now these values doesn't match with g-code output.