Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cycle times

headhunter

Is there a way I can retrieve the cycle time from the machine simulation rather than from backplot? The machine simulator time is much closer to what my actual machine time is. I'm using an active reports setup sheet that retrieves the backplot cycle time currently, but I would love to be able to point it to the simulator cycle time and retrieve that data instead.

:guitar:

Ya the backplot time for me is always way off. If I have say a 40 min cycle, Backplot will estimate it at usually half of what actual cycle is. Makes is harder to quote a time for a job. I asked support about it and they could not give me an answer as to why its so off. Meh, typical support.

Thoob - The reason the backplott time is off is becuse it doesnt account for the machine acceleration and deceleration. You can get this time closer by changing the values in the Machine Definition and in the Machine configuration I believe.... will have to double check this tomorrow at work. Once complete create a basic setup sheet and the time will be close to what your looking for. The one bit of time it cant account for is tool change time but just add 2-3 seconds per tool and your times should be alot closer.

Ok, thanks. Funny why support couldn't tell me that when I called them. They told me they were not sure why. I even asked when I was there in Cambridge a few momnths ago and it was the same answer.

Also when I do a backplot of a tool, it gives me XX time. Then if I apply the high feed toolpath (speeds vary all over), it calculates a different time, so to me that part is working.

In order to optimize your back plot times what you need to do is go into the Machine Definition, then go into the General Machine Parameters and choose Machine Dynamics. These setting will take a little bit of setting up and playing but you will need to adjust these settings to represent your machines capabilities. Once done the back plot times should be more a more accurate representation of your actual machining times.

A side note:

Mastercam does not compensation for the accel/decel of your machine. Your machine accelerates to your feed rate and decelerates to a stop this is not taken into account.

Also helix milling and contour ramping of circles is off by a factor of 2.

As well Peck Drilling is not calculated. All drilling cycles are simulated as a linear move from the top to the bottom of the hole.

Using a .set setup sheet will also give you a more accurate machining time.

Ok, I will check that out. So all helix and circle milling should be doubled in time? Eg a helix hole that says 1 min should be 2 mins long? That could explain why the program times are way off as I do a lot of that type of cutting, especially in surface high speed cycles.

I looked into the machine dynamics page but to be honest I have no clue as to what should be there. Should I call you to get some help on it?