Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t wildcat vp880 pro & mastercam

pronc

Hi gurus,

i'm getting a new box and this video card is my 1st choice. i'd like to have your input. the box is mainly for proe and mastercam. the quadro 900 xgl i have right now can't handle the load. i'm running dualview. thank you in advance for all your input.

What computer will you be using this in, and in what way is the Quadro not handling the load? Graphics performance, like any aspect of computer performance, is like a set of pipes. The limit is the smallest pipe your data has to pass through. i.e. if you got a 3,000 GPM pump on the input and a 6" pipe on the output, you ain't gonna move much water if the two of them are connected by a garden hose.

What you need to consider are:

- AGP bus speed. You want an 8X port to get the most out of any video board.

- CPU. Faster is better. More is better. Hyperthreading is better.

- RAM. Lots of it, as fast as you can get.

i.e. a PIII with PC133 RAM and a 2X AGP port is not going to necessaraly use a Quadro to it's fullest. Replacing the Quadro with a Wildcat is like swapping the 3,000 GPM pump with a 6,000 GPM unit. The limit is still the garden hose, and your water movement will stay the same.

Rich,

the future box will have:

mobo: gigabyte ga-8knxp

cpu: 3.2 ghz

memoy: 2 gig

video card: wildcat vp880 pro

the one will be replaced is a 2.4 ghz dell workstation 2 gig memory. 900 xgl quadro

i have a dualview set up. when i have mastercam open in one monitor and 2 sessions of proe open in the other one, i can see the decrease in graphic performance. the assembly can't hardly move. hopefully an extra 128 mb of video ram will solve the problem. i could be wrong. that's why i'm seeking all of your input. Rich, thank you for the reply.

My experence with high-end graphics cards on commodity systems has been pretty bad, to tell you the truth. After throwing a good deal of perfectly good money at high-zoot graphics cards, I either found that the underlying systems own bottlenecks were the limiting factor, or that the imprevement in performance was only measureable with a benchmark program.

Looking at the review of the VP870 on Tom's Hardware Guide tells me that the situation hasn't changed much.

Look here:

Tom's Guide

The performance improvement you can expect seems to be pretty small, percentage wise. On the viewperf proe test (which sounds most relevant to what you are doing), it's only ~11%. Not really gonna be noticeable in practice.

My suggusiton: Don't bother to replace the card in the existing system. The (minor) improvement in performance isn't worth the $500.00 the card will cost. Go ahead and put one in the new system though. It's a couple dollars cheaper than a 980XGL, and offers about the same level of performance.

FWIW, 3D Labs was my long-time favorite video card manufacturer, because their drivers were always tip-top. I hope that commitment to quality has survived the buy-out by Creative Labs.