Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spindle Stop

There doesn't appear to be any available threads that I could use. I thought about mounting something the other end but it is a long way. There are some mounting holes that I could use but the tube is 32" long. Seems a long way for some stop rod to be spinning unsupported. I found this item sold by Aloris. What do you think?

I couldn't figure out how to paste a PDF. Follow the link below and near the bottom of the page is an item called "Spindle & Collet Stops - Universal, Replacement Parts". This will open a PDF. Just an Idea. I certainly am open to any other ideas.

http://www.aloris.com/index.php/pages/Aloris-Catalog-2012.html

The place where i used to work had stops very similar to that except they were home made. Basically a bit of tube that goes the length of your spindle, with a bush along it the diameter of your spindle bore. We had a flange on the back end of it so we could screw it to the back end of the spindle like you were saying. And we had heaps of them in different sizes so you could add support if we were barfeeding. That item looks quite handy if you want to pay for it.

I made stops for both ends of our Haas lathes. They have Kitigawa chucks so I was able to make an aluminum chip cover about 4" deep with a threaded hole for a stop bolt. For longer parts, I built a cover for the end of the spindle that bolts on where the cover plate goes that is deep enough to provide clearance for the throw of the draw tube. The cover is threaded for a piece of 1" all thread and I can couple sections to adjust length. The stop at the end of the all thread is an aluminum disc about 1" thick that screws on the end of the all thread and has about .010" clearance in the draw tube. I have never had a problem with it getting stuck. Our spindles are 4" bore, so you may have to scale your parts to fit your machine.