Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ CNC TPP

TimHollis

Good Afternoon.

Ref: Turret Punch Press.

Some of you might remember, I am down in the Dominican Republic.

Management has decided, that since I design, build, and maintain, dies for the molding dept, and the metal dept, in this 3rd world country, that I would have no problem, receiving a 1990, Amada CNC, Turret Punch Press, and a 5 axis, Amada Brake. And adding the programming, set-up, maintenance, of such, to my light work-load, biggrin.gif

quote:

You should have no problem with this, it's a CNC!!!!

biggrin.gif

I have been doing Hard Tooling, for the 18, standard Punch Presses we currently have, usually, I am building in the 60-ton range.

OK, so I am CLUE-LESS, I have been doing a lot of searches, and reading everything I can lay my eyes on, but there is not much available.

Anybody, know some friends in that end of it. I am looking for

1, User Groups, Message Boards, Forums.

2, The Amada Punch Press, uses a Fanuc OA4-PC controller, the press is a 1990, but they tell me it has a PUNCH TAPE FEED, option. eek.gif Any comments on the Fanuc Controller?

3, The Brake has a Proprietary Controller. frown.gif

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

cheers.gif

Thanks

Tim H.

The Amada is a good machine to program and it programs the same way as Fanuc style machine. I would set up the DNC side and get awys from the tape. I have a thing at home on a guy that make BTR units if it will not recieve the code RS-232.

(BTR= Behind the tape Reader) The yare great tools for machine that do not have the ability to revieve information Rs-232 but think it should we had an older one and it did. The code is pretty straight foward and you will find that the cycles for the Clamps and the loading and unloading of the sheets is very coold just make sure to put 2 M00 in for clamping and unclmapping if moving the clamps keep operator from messing up punches and killing holding clamps. One other thing make extension tables for the machine to do longer parts you can do alot longer than the machine travel just by unclmaping and reclamping maertial.

It has been over 12 years since I programmed one and don't know where all my old books are. I am sorry dont know about forums and that other stuff but will send you person email I got when I get home.

Good Luck!!!!

Crazy Millman

1) Amada makes a nice machine

2) 1990 is pretty long in the tooth for a Turret Punch Press if whoever owned it before was doing serious production on it; I hope that it has at least been gone through once or twice or you are gonna have some fun if you're trying to do precision work.

3) This may sound silly but if you don't have much (any) turret experience you are at the beginning of a long journey as far as learning a whole new animal.

Good luck with your new toys

C

Millman^crazy and chris m.

I Thank You, for the replies!!! biggrin.gif

Managment sent me over a dozen, digital, photos, and the name plate does say, 1990. I think what caught me off guard, was when they kept telling me,

quote:

But it also has, a Punch Tape, option!!!!
biggrin.gif

When I asked them back in NY, do you guys know what that is????? All I got was silence, confused.gif then some one says

quote:

Thats, the option for punching tape, right???

mad.gif

These are the guys sitting NY, who are going to help me out down here, where- we lose the electric 3 times a day, 4 times a week, and wait for the automatic back- generators to kick in, so we can re-boot, re-home and NC-find, and go, until the next time. I have some Fuji chip-shooters, that go through servo amps, like cervesa. But at least the Fuji's and the VMC's are newer, and have some built-in diagnostics, when they go on the fritz.

I Thank You again, for the quick reply's.

cheers.gif

Tim H.

I have a (future) relative that runs an Amada Pega Queen and an Amada Octo with auto index (I have no clue what that is). What exactly do you want advise on and what type of machine is it? Queen, King, Vela, etc....? I have no clue about sheet metal but my future brother in law is one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet and has a lot of knowledge with sheet metal. You can e-mail me if you have any other questions. Good luck.

How could you run a machine called a 'Queen' eek.gif

The Pega King was an OK name, but a Queen? Come on! At least they could call it a 'Prince' or something.

Anyone running a 'Queen' in my shop would be nicknamed 'Queenie' in a about 2 seconds and have guys bringing back crowns from Burger King for him.

Auto Index is a station that you can index to different angles in the program.

Most standard tooling for these machines is keywayed 90 degrees apart [at least it was when I worked with them] so you can load tools oriented up-and-down or left-to-right but that's it, if you want to punch a feature at 30 degrees you are out of luck unless you buy a tool with the keyways made special for this ($$$) or try to nibble it with a small tool. With auto-index the tool station rotates to where you want it and bam you have your feature punched. It is also used with 'multi-tool' setups where you have several smaller tools incorporated into the space of one larger tool and just index 0 deg for a .250 hole, 30 degrees for a C'sink, 60 degrees for a .125 square, etc.

Pretty cool

C

[ 08-29-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

quote:

And Freddy Mercury was a .....?

And WTH it matters ?

They were great band , Mercury voice had some magic And May`s guitar did wonders !

They are one of the favourits and it not hurts me he was ..., cause he was a great singer !

When I hear the great musis I don`t ask questions.

I just listen.

It`s like listenin` Hendrix and asking how much stuff he took before recording this track .

Or listening Deep Purple and wandering how many weeks they played football and if this track was recorded from the first try or from the second.

Iskander teh hard rock fan and 100 strait !