Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why is this 15hp spindle so week?

I have a Awea 1000 VMC that has a fanuc 0iMB control. The spindle is a 10000 rpm 15hp unit. I can only push my 3 inch Ingersol face mill at 45 ipm 3800 rpm .100 deep 2.3 wide in 6061. This shows 160% load. The spindle will start to loss rpm at 175%. I also slot in 6061 with a 1/2 inch 2 flute HSS end mill at 5300 rpm .500 deep by .500 wide at 65 ipm at 160% load.

I had a Cincinnati arrow 500 with a 7.5 hp 6000 rpm spindle that would run the same 3 inch face mill at 80ipm with the same rpm, depth and width as above and it showed 120% load. What should I be looking for?

Run a smaller Shell Mill, like 2.5:" dia max

For 40 taper machines, the standard max size was 3.0 dia for a shell mill.

Or decrease your stepover and depth of cut till you are at 100% for new inserts in the shell mill.

When it goes over, the inserst are getting dull or your taking to big a cut for the horsepower you have.

Machineguy