Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So other than price what are the differences advantages to the mcacm u industrial and educational certification course

And how much would you need to know to complete one

Do you need to already know multiaxis in and out to be able to complete the course

Ill be contacting the local reseller as well just thought id ask here too

I'll stay out of a debate between the two (for obvious reasons) because they're both great, but I will say that your "I need to start getting more advanced training. got plently of basic knowledge" quote is probably misguided. No offense :)

I had been teaching multiaxis machining w/ Mastercam for about 7 years when I got access to MastercamU. I fired up the account, looked at the available courses and said, "Pffft, I've been teaching this stuff for years, I can skip the basics.." But I decided to start at the beginning anyway.

Within 5 minutes, I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open saying "Holy crap! I never knew you could do THAT with..."

Seriously, the tricks I picked up that the software can do saved me untold hours of productivity, and made me a much more complete user. I was kinda mad at how many hours of life I wasted doing some things the inefficient way.

My point is, if you can swing it, start at the beginning. As much as it pains me to say it, structured training is always more valuable (for the time spent) than the random, shotgun, "figure out this problem when you come across it" approach. And you especially get a lot more out of structured classes when you've already made yourself a good baseline of knowledge, because you'll pick up all the little tricks the teacher is doing, all of those little efficiency things that a rookie would overlook.

My point is, if you can swing it, start at the beginning. As much as it pains me to say it, structured training is always more valuable (for the time spent) than the random, shotgun, "figure out this problem when you come across it" approach. And you especially get a lot more out of structured classes when you've already made yourself a good baseline of knowledge, because you'll pick up all the little tricks the teacher is doing, all of those little efficiency things that a rookie would overlook.
I fully agree with Aaron on this statement. I have been teaching for about 12 years at the school level and more on the at the company level. I have found long time users for years that have come to my classes and took a beginning class as they wanted to learn the latest but were hesitate due to I have been using this for 10 + years and know all the basics. after the first night they were amazed at what they did not know that would make there lives that much easier.

This is not the first time I have made this statment just here but at other places. The Mcam U are not the same as the books you find here so don't think if you did the books here you got it. there is more even on a level one level.

just throwing my 2 in with Aaron.

And thats a great point all the small tricks but for that amount of money as u stated if u can swing it is worth it I believe

Im just not sure if I want to pay that amount to show me different methods to do the things I already can do

When I can make that same payment and learn something I cannot do at this time

Its a can of worms for sure but thats why im getting opinions and advice before I commit because ive already had basic courses from other sources

And ya that statement may be a bit misguided being that 90 percent of what I can do with mcam is self taught

Boatguy,

I teach Mastercam to high school students. I took the MastercamU certification a few years back and thought it was awesome. Many little things that I never knew popped up. I actually started with X4 and have taken each certification class for every upgrade (X5 and now X6) The classes themselves have not changed that much throughout the years but I am always picking up something new. I totally agree with Aaron and Jay about the basics as well. I have also done the Lathe and Multi Axis courses and loved them as well.

Tom

I have been using Mastercam since X3. I just finished the beginning course on eApprentice. I learned quite a bit since I am self taught as well. I am positive there are still a lot of things I do not know that could be covered in a begginer Mastercam course. Because even these courses don't cover every last detail. I am now doing the Vol 2 stuff and it has been great learning new ways to do things. Some of the stuff I learned has helped me get a grasp on solids, surfacing techniques, etc. There is a lot to learn.