Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sine wave function

Bill Henderson

Here's what one of my Design geeks said, which looks to be along the lines of the post above:

You can either use the “equation driven curve” sketch tool by clicking on the drop-down menu on the spline button in the sketch window, or write the equation in Excel and import the data points into Solidworks using Insert>>Curve>>Curve Through XYZ Points… Depends on what he’s trying to use it for I guess.

Found an easy way if anyone ever needs it.

I am currently working with sheet metal.

The feature is out in some crazy plane so the spreadsheet driven curve was a pain.

Here is what I did.

A helix is by all means a sine wave in three dimensions...so I created my circle in the plane I needed tangent to my cut out and exited the sketch.

Then I created a helix from that circle with the circumference x PI for my pitch.

Picked the plane intersecting my cylinder and projected the helix onto it. Done.

Came out perfectly on the unrolled sheet.