Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Santa Fe

I am biding on a job for which the parts are made of MP35n material.

This are lathe parts with little milling (a hex flange machined outside and a hex inside for an allen wrench). Picture a 3/4" dowel pin 2-1/2" long with one end tapered (about 1/4") and 1/2-13 thread x 1/2" on the other end and the hex flange at the end of the thread (in the midd-section of the body).

Does anybody knows anything about the machinability of this material. The customers is asking only for 5pcs and I really don't want to open a can of worms for only 5pcs.

Thanks for any information on this.

MP35N® is an age-hardened, nonmagnetic, biocompatible cobalt-nickel-chromium alloy with molybdenum added for corrosion resistance. It is often triple-melted to insure purity, stability, and overall performance. This is achieved by adding an electroslag remelt (ESR) in between the typical vacuum induction melt (VIM) and vacuum arc remelt (VAR).

Among it's uses in the medical industry are:

• Orthopedic wires and cable
  • Catheters
  • Pacing lead wire conductors
  • Stylets and probe wires

MP35N® is also referred to as:

• UNS R30035
  • ASTM F562
  • 35Co-35Ni-20Cr-10Mo
  • NACE MR-0175\

http://www.vincentmetals.com/MP35N.html

My P+W Alloy ref list has this material:

PWA spec #114

AMS # 5758

It shows machinability at 16 percent.

"cobalt-nickel-chromium alloy with molybdenum"

It's a treat to cut, we use it for some of our medical products. That combination of materials makes it interesting, funny part is I'd love to do the sizes your looking at, right now we are doing 1/8" diameter and under down to Ø.0085" drilled holes. carbide circuit drills with speeder heads to 80k rpm also running jahbro cutters. The material was only 38 Rc but it's darn tuff. I was burning up Robb Jack tuffy's (it's all we had on hand) 1 cutter / part. Went to the right Jahbro tool and I could do 100 parts and was only beginning to see wear.

My advice is we worked with our tooling vendors to find the appropriate tooling, speeds and feeds to do what we needed and you may want to do the same. Jahbro is now under Seco and they were excellent to work with.

Good luck!