Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Point to Point machining

archer

Hello people,

I have a question regarding programming a toolpath. Let's say we have a few points displayed on the screen. All of these points are located at Z 0.000. Now let's say we want to machine a path from one point to another point at -.100 deep. I know that we could draw lines connecting these points together and then chain the lines producing the toolpath, and also we could use the point to point method where we input the tool up, and tool down commands. My question, is there another way we could do this without having to draw lines, or go through the point to point drama(cause it's usually a couple hundred points we need to connect). We have looked at this for awhile, and could not come up with any successful ideas. Maybe a contour where we can window the points,(like drilling)and let mastercam connect the points.

Thank you for any help!

Dennis Archer

MCAM 9.1

Plastic Ingenuity

If there's a certain order the lines need to be drawn in, I don't think you can do it, unless.. If you're getting your points from a database, you could create a VB script that will connect them with lines. If not, you could put the points into excel and call them from the script. There's a sample that does this in your VB folder. (if you're running 9.1)

'Rekd

I would write a special simple post for this operation only and if you can take your points in window in the needed order I will use a drill operation with a depthes taken frpm your drill operation .

Or add it to your big post and call it through miscelanious variable

or hand edit write the little program and take ccoordinates from drill operation

Or write my macro custom cycle

MCall drillmill

g1 z-0.1 f100

f300

x y

xy

z0.1

drillmill

g90 g1

While (z<0)

else

G0 z30

M30

The grammer of macro is approximate

[ 09-04-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

To be more exact first you have to drill all your points. Than backplot them. In backplot save your toolpath as geometry ( I prefer different level). Than chain you rapid toolpath (make sure in options you check plane mask). You're all set.

Rob

quote:

Yes, you can do it.

In backplot save your toolpath as geometry than chain it.

Rob

I was gonna ask...

quote:

To be more exact first you have to drill all your points. Than backplot them. In backplot save your toolpath as geometry ( I prefer different level). Than chain you rapid toolpath (make sure in options you check plane mask). You're all set.

But didn't have to. biggrin.gif

'Rekd