Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 Posting problem

wdg5555

I got a new computer and I'm having some problems getting mastercam back the way it was on the old computer. My lastest issue is having to regenerate toolpaths before I post them otherwise it for some reason doesn't put in some rapid moves sometimes.

An example is I write my program and post it. But for some reason the G0 z.1 move is not at the begginning of my canned cycle or it doesn't put the G0 between tool paths using the same tool. I then regenerate the already clean operations and then it puts my G0's in.

I'm a bit scared using this for posting since I'm not sure if its going to lead to a catastrophic problem while i'm running my lathe. And the old computer didn't have this problem (starting to regret getting the new computer even though the old one was slow) I can provide my post and other files if need be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This seems very strange to me. I have never had this happen. Is it one a particular type of operation? or maybe the NCI is corrupt. When funny stuff starts happening to me, I'll try and delete the offending operation and re-create it.

You mentioned that you re-installed MC on a new computer. Are you saying that this same program was posting fine before the move?

A bit more information might help. What Version MC are you using? and is your post located on you local computer or is it on a network?

Is it one a particular type of operation?

I haven't done alot of testing on what all can cause it, but I know it happens when I move an operation. ie. I create a operation and then move it up in the program. Not sure what else causes it, though i'm sure I could make it happen with other methods. I was able to create 4 operations and not move them around and it posted just fine.

Are you saying that this same program was posting fine before the move?

I haven't tried to post an old program yet. This post was copied from my old computer and it didn't have this problem.

EDIT: Used other computer in shop without mastercam update and was able to recreate the problem.

What Version MC are you using?

X5 with the update installed (MU1). I don't think that my old computer had the update. I could try uninstalling the update but it seems unlikely that is the problem. Would upgrading to x6/x7 possibly fix this?

is your post located on you local computer or is it on a network?

Yes and no. The network backups all of the data on my desktop and my documents (annoying) and when I look at my documents it starts with a //server/..... But I think a copy is also saved on the hard drive of my computer. So...?

The only other thing that I can think of that is different is the old computer was running xp and the new one is Win7 64.

When i get back to work tomorrow I will try using one of the default posts that comes with mastercam and see if I can reproduce the error. Maybe that will narrow it down to a mastercam problem or my post.

I haven't done alot of testing on what all can cause it, but I know it happens when I move an operation. ie. I create a operation and then move it up in the program. Not sure what else causes it, though i'm sure I could make it happen with other methods. I was able to create 4 operations and not move them around and it posted just fine.

Do you use stock in your operations?

Because if you do when you move an operation it requires regeneration; this is done to calculate the transition moves.

If you do not use lathe stock, you should.

I believe that regenerating is the answer and that it has always been an issue.

I haven't tried to post an old program yet. This post was copied from my old computer and it didn't have this problem.

Try it on your last 5 jobs and do a file compare.

The only other thing that I can think of that is different is the old computer was running xp and the new one is Win7 64.

OS will make no difference. Did you update the post processor reciently (using updatepst c-hook)?

Do you use stock in your operations?

No, I only use stock when I have to. Today I was programing for our mill turn machine with two spindles. I had a pickoff operation in it so I had to setup stock and jaws. But unfortunatly I still had the same problem. I don't remember exactly what I did to cause it since I had a lunch break in between programming, but I think the problem was caused by my mill operations. So I moved a mill op around (which doesn't make your lathe operations dirty) and my canned cycle was suppose to start with "G1 Z.1 X10" and the first line was "G1 Z0".

I also had problems with operations on my sub spindle. Was having trouble getting it to post the correct code for the sub spindle. Had to do something to make my operations dirty (just regenerating didn't work) then regenerate them to get it to post correctly. Also had one of my operations have the correct code for the sub spindle but my rapid moves were at minus z. Had to make the operation dirty to get it to post correctly.

My stock was a little bit funny in that program since my boring bar wiped out all of my stock on the 4th operation. I don't know why and I didn't take the time to find out. The boring bar didn't crash when I ran the progam. Although I didn't hang the bar out far enough...fortunately caught it before it crashed.

This post was copied from my old computer and it didn't have this problem.

Apparently this is not true. We have another computer at the shop and I was able to recreate this problem on that computer and it does not have the update for X5. So I guess it has always been this way and I've never noticed it in the last 3 years programming. Although I only tested it with our post for our fanuc lathe. I did not try to recreate the problems I'm having with out mill/turn post.

I'm going to call the company who we bought our post from (I don't know who) and see if i can get him to come out to help.