Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Modeling Prop

RayEdwards

hi guys

i have been given the job of machining a 2 blade prop.. the customer supplied a point cloud and mesh that was digitised on a rensihaw cyclone. i have the blade areas now in a solid sheet and have a solid hub...what i am trying to do is join the 3 solids with a fillet and i am having issues.... this is my first solid job with pointcloud/mesh.......is there someone who i can show what i have so far and point me in the right direct.......will a trim to surface extend the solid into the hub... i appreciate any help....

ray

Ray you have done a pretty good job so far. You in my opinion have run into the limits of Mastercam with Solids. Your best bet would be make surfaces out of each face and then doing a surface fillet from the hub to the blades. Make sure everything is water tight then try make a Solid from the surfaces. Not sure why it has to be solid if you can machine it as surfaces I would go down that route. Verisurf offers a reverse package that would most helpful with dealing with this type of file in Mastercam. We have so Auto surfacing tools and filtering tools along with fitting splines and lines through the mesh to make model creation a lot easier. With that said we do not address this radius issue since that goes back to using the CAD side of Mastercam but getting to where you are now might be steps easier if you have Verisurf's Reverse add-on if you find yourself starting to do a lot of this work.

HTH

I'd recommend work with just one half of the model to start with even the hub center.

Next create an extension of the the prop geometry by either taking the end curve of it and projecting it to a center plane and then surface it. Once that is done go through the steps of closing all that to a solid body whatever way you see fit.

Create your hub (remember only half of it), even as a whole solid shaft.

Do a boolean solids add and join the two solids.

Then go back and add your fillet if it works.

Rotate the geometry 180 to create the whole prop, boolean add or use as two solids at this point.

Always make copies when doing the boolean add also so you retain your original work.

• Like 1