Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wire machine feed question

Bill Cronkhite

My opinion is your going to have a lot more variables to consider than just those. What kind of conditions are you facing:

variable thickness

material

flushing

wire type / diameter

oh there's more =)

If you could change any of those to optimzie and run a constant feedrate is it worth the change or is it a one of a kind job that you could leave unattended and eat the cost of the wire not necessarily the operator time/handling expense?

We only use fixed feedrates here for a very specific cases otherwise the servo gain will actually give us more when it can than if we left it at a static rate. That of course is on our Makino's SP43's.

Seems like it would depend on how many corners you would have also and whether or not you needed skims. Making it a constant feed may make your skims much slower if it is not removing enough material on rough pass. As for me I am a voltage watcher.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, thanks for the responses. Got involved in a major form steel for the mill and had to put this aside for a while. Problem is my time quotes are getting so long the bosses are starting to want to send everything out for wire work.

Regarding questions:

material, soft A-2 4 inches thick flat top and bottom

wire, Sumitoma .012 dia programmed at .0145 for over burn

Single pass no skim cuts

machine series Q Elox w/Fanuc controll. (OLD still has paper tape reader and I can't get the RS232 to work so it may not even be there)

settings:

type 0

voltage 8

on time 7

off time 28

V. servo 24-26

tension 400

wire feed 4

water flow 4

water condition excellent. 2 month old filters and 3 month old resin tank. Also have access to di water for top offs.

Possibly the power supply is getting weak as I have noticed that after 12-14 hours of run, I start getting large voltage drops which leads to shorts and backing up. And times get huge.

Thanks for any help. Programmed wire 2 and 4 axis for over 28 years, but only running and setup + programming for about 6.

Bill, Not familiar with that particular machine or power settings but off the top of my head I would make sure that my upper and lower power feed contacts have been cleaned and moved to a new surface for the wire to run against. I move mine every 40 hours of burning. I would also check all of my cables for bad places and make sure all connections are tight and clean.