Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Visual Distortion On PC

RTI.IT

Hello!!

I support multiple users of Mastercam x5 & x6 and seem to have stumbled onto a problem I can't fix, so I'm hoping somebody on here knows.

The user is complaining that the visual appearance of lines on the PC screen when zoomed in seems hand sketched or in other words not as straight as they should be. The users PC is far beyond the required specs, and has a dedicated video card. All drivers are up to date, and all hardware passed factory diagnoses tests. All other 3-D applications work without a hitch, its just in Mastercam x6 that the user reports a problem.

I should also note, this problem is a new occurrence, the setup has been in place for quite some time and the user never had this problem before.

Is there a setting or something that could have been bumped by the user that would lower the graphic quality?

Thanks!

post-47393-0-17690600-1366138483_thumb.jpg

what type of monitors are you running and are you running them at their best resolution??

I once bough a pair of high quality Samsung 24" monitor and lines looked like stair cases in both

Mastercam and SolidWorks, I changed them out for Dell Ultra Sharps and that solved the problem.

I have also seen users who prefer a low resolution on their monitors.. and this can yield some pretty poor graphics quality

when running Cad/Cam software

Is this users initials JB?

just askin' :)

Running the resolution as high as the monitor will go, making sure the chord height in the config is not too lose, .002 is default

Making sure the user is zoomed into a .005 so it looks like the titanic on the screen

You also don't mention the video card, you say far beyond minimum specs but certain card though they may "spec" OK don't play well with CAD/CAM

and driver, make sure you're using the card makers drivers and not the ones that come with many "purchased" systems

I've found when I don't run in a monitor's native resolution, entities are not as visually appealing as they should be.

Font size and other "theme" type settings can affect the overall appearance in not so pleasant ways as well.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I'll try to do this in order:

GCode - I have them setup with View Sonic VX2253, connected via a HDMI cable. Its a 22" LED full 1080p, with a native resolution of 1920X1080. He did have a generic everyday Acer monitor on there, and when he complained I upgraded him to this VS thinking that would help. I don't have any dell monitors on hand, but I may be able to order one.

JParis: lol, no his initials are RH. I checked the chord height after reading your reply, and he was set to the default .002. His Video card is Nvidia Quadro 600 (1GB DDR3 with a DVI output). His PC has a Intel Xeon chipset, E3-1225 v2, & 8GB ram.

James: I'm not sure I follow about the font size and theme? Can you elaborate?

Thanks everyone!

'View Sonic VX2253, connected via a HDMI cable. Its a 22" LED full 1080p, with a native resolution of 1920X1080. Nvidia Quadro 600 (1GB DDR3 with a DVI output). His PC has a Intel Xeon chipset, E3-1225 v2, & 8GB ram"

This is more than acceptable. You should be able to set the chord setting to .0002 with no graphics distortion. If your working with a large amount of cad data, it can slow you down but will stabilize when your done rotating or zooming.

James is talking about windows themes and fonts. Try it with Windows 7 basic or Windows classic. Keep the system font average, nothing too wacky. Right click on the icon that launches Mastercam. Select properties. Put a check in the Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition boxes. Select apply then close the dialog box.

Start MC and take a look. The image you posted appears to be ghosted or sitting on top of a duplicate entities. In the Utilities toolbar, there is a icon that looks like a paintbrush / flashlight ( WTF is that ). The orange icon named Regenerate display list. Use this to force a screen refresh and see if that helps.

In dozens of different set-ups, mostly low end, I've never seen a straight line not be straight. Do your circles look like ovals when viewed from head on? If so, your resolution settings are off.

I run Windows Classic. Yeah it looks old, but it performs well and lets my applications take the horsepower they need.

Oh, I also use the default line thickness in Mastercam.