Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Model Validation Software - Do you use it?

Oscar R.

I'm researching model validation software for compliance for some of our customer CAD models.

What we need is something that will take the original model and the translated model (SolidWorks, PCDemis, MasterCam, Surfacam) and compare the two to insure that the translated model is true to the original.

We also need this software to produce a pass or fail type document report to comply with customer QC traceability. Mainly Boeing, but others with similar standards as well.

I've started to look into Kubotek and the Verisurf validation tools, and as I understand it, they're somehow connected(not clear to me how yet).

I have a few others on my list to look into but was wondering if anyone here uses one that they prefer over the other.

Ease of use, price range (one compared to the other), reliability?

Thanks in advance for any input.

We had to get a similar software to comply with one of our customers to. We ended up with Capvidia. Works OK. No complaints. But to be honest we really only bought it because one of our customers demanded it.

It does give piece of mind that the translated files match. Anyone whose ever had a missing radii, or bad surface can appreciate the value in it.

As far as a report, the screenshot contains graphical deviation, as well as dimensional deviation. Maybe this would work?

EX-wccprogrammer, thanks for the response. This looks good, but we're looking for something a little more robust than just feature deviation. Although, we do need that as well, we also need to check if all of the features came through the translation as the were saved in the native CAD file. This can include, wireframe, solids, surfaces, special notes and Model Based Definition.

I have to look further into SpaceClaim as I'm not very familiar with it..

Thanks for the input.

We had to get a similar software to comply with one of our customers to. We ended up with Capvidia. Works OK. No complaints. But to be honest we really only bought it because one of our customers demanded it.

It does give piece of mind that the translated files match. Anyone whose ever had a missing radii, or bad surface can appreciate the value in it.

Ray D, Capvidia is on my list but I haven't had a chance to completely go over it yet. It looks like a better direct comparison to what Kubotek offers. So far that's what I'm gathering. And it does document a traceable quality report, which is key.

I know that you said that you had no complaints over it, but is there anything that you can think of that you feel might set Capvidia apart from other similar software?

Thanks for the input.

Running Verisurf 6.1 here with model validate version Validate64.11.3.1.39727. Verisurf is running their validate using the kubotek kernel. Pretty cool and easy to use. Gives you a graphical overlay of the points created between the mastercam and catia file. I can adjust the tolerance and distance for how often I want a point made. We had to get something per one of our customers since we use mastercam 100% for everything instead of catia.

It makes a nice report simple to read. Were very happy here with the Verisurf product.

To be honest, it was the only software that our customer recommended to us. They are a very large aerospace company here in the US. so it's really the only one we looked at. We did get some other quotes, but we never really compared feature by feature.

We asked for, and received a 30 day evaluation copy before we purchased. Maybe try that. The salesperson I worked with, her name was Tracy, last name starts with a 'K' I think. Nice enough company. Good service.

Running Verisurf 6.1 here with model validate version Validate64.11.3.1.39727. Verisurf is running their validate using the kubotek kernel. Pretty cool and easy to use. Gives you a graphical overlay of the points created between the mastercam and catia file. I can adjust the tolerance and distance for how often I want a point made. We had to get something per one of our customers since we use mastercam 100% for everything instead of catia.

It makes a nice report simple to read. Were very happy here with the Verisurf product.

We talked to a Kubotek rep. last week and he talked about it using Verisurf for our MasterCam translations.

Apparently it uses the same point based data that it would for other CAM systems as well as for PcDMIS. For SolidWorks and other parametric modeling software Kubotek seems to works direct with solid and surface faces.

We also need to be able to check DMIS, SurfCam, and SolidWorks files? From what I gather, their pricing structure is built on however many different software you'd want to be able to compare to. I'm I correct on that? Not sure.

To be honest, it was the only software that our customer recommended to us. They are a very large aerospace company here in the US. so it's really the only one we looked at. We did get some other quotes, but we never really compared feature by feature.

We asked for, and received a 30 day evaluation copy before we purchased. Maybe try that. The salesperson I worked with, her name was Tracy, last name starts with a 'K' I think. Nice enough company. Good service.

Thanks for the honest reply. I know it can be a daunting task to compare all of the pros. and cons. which is why I turned here to get other input.

I think we will try the trial version of Capvidia, as we've been asked to give a good comparison on our option out there.

Oscar I was going to point you to Verisurf to but look at what Justind is talking about.

Jay, thanks.

Have you worked with the Verisurf Validate? Is there much use of it in the industry through your view?

When I was doing work for Boeing they requested the same so did the webinar with Kubotek to see what the software could do. At that time they couldn't compare Catia to mcam so I would have to translate out after I finished translating in.

So thinking my original Catia file is (A) my mcam file is (B) and my Catia created from exported mcam as ©. You need to compare A to C. I asked them if I do have a error how do I know whether the error occured between A and B or B and C if I can only compare A to C. They had no answer to that at Kubotek. The Einsteins in QC pushed and bought the software anyways even after I pleaded for Verisurf on the grounds that they could get 2 seats for the price of verisurf. So now we have 2 computers with a expensive desktop icon that hasn't been double clicked since it was installed.