Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How long to turn?

I've got a local company making some parts on a lathe for me, and I'm curious if anyone can give me an idea of how long it should be taking them to make them. The latest ones are a simple pin, 0.1875" dia, 0.75" overall length, with a 0.150" length x 0.063" diameter pin on the end. The tolerances are +/- 0.003", and they're made out of 12L14 Steel. How long should it take to make 500 of these on an average CNC lathe?

I didn't think it should take very long. They're cutting them off a bar and leaving a piece on the end and then hand finishing them on a deburring wheel. That seems like a huge waste to me, and I don't have any experience with a CNC lathe

They're cutting them off a bar and leaving a piece on the end and then hand finishing them on a deburring wheel.

Very difficult to eliminate this completely if there is no sub spindle available. If the qty. is descent, a swiss shop might be interested and they would fly through those things without any post machining operations.

Mike

They may be limited on RPM due to L:D. High RPM will have that warping and running out that small. Our bar puller takes 10 sec per cycle. I factor that into every job we run. No way to get around that delay. I can see this taking 45 seconds, especially if they are hand breaking the parts off instead of using a parts catcher to prevent damage as the part is removed. Lots of factors on the lathe to consider. This does sound like a good parts for swiss though. Being able to keep the material from warping at RPM is a huge time factor.