Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parlec Tool Presetter database

DavidSV

Is there any way to build a joint database with a Parlec tool presetter? We just got ours installed and it looks pretty impressive. I would like to build a tool database that integrates with mastercam so the programmers can program from one tool database. Is this possible?

Thanks

David

Is there any way to build a joint database with a Parlec tool presetter? We just got ours installed and it looks pretty impressive. I would like to build a tool database that integrates with mastercam so the programmers can program from one tool database. Is this possible?

Depends on what your parlec expects for a database format. X7 uses SQLite.

• 10 months later...

Thanks

David

The answer is NO. We just got the Parlec PG6 system software addon to our Parlec presetter. You are correct, it looks QUITE impressive, until you begin using it and discover all of it's limitations. It is EXTREMELY cumbersome to use and seems to be written by people who have absolutely no knowledge of working in a machine shop. Although it is compatible with a few machine controls, it is completely incompatible with any CAD CAM package. There are also many bugs included, and you must spend a great deal of time learning to work around these bugs. The sales reps seem to know little or nothing about the system. Realistically, every programmer needs to have a seat of PG6 in order to use it so he can go through the painstaking task of recreating tool lists (that you already created in Mastercam) for the tool crib guy.

If you buy this, be sure to get extra seats. Our reseller DELIBERATELY misled us on this issue and has not given us much support since we sent the the paycheck. I would not purchase this system again if I had the choice.

The next problem is creating post processors for this odd system. The post utility tool is an option. They only tell you that after you spend 3 hours trying to find it and finally resort to calling your dealer.

What we wanted was to be able to output the tool G10 commands to the NC and have to machine call the tool, do an M6 and bring the spindle to a convenient location to change tools with an M0. Their system could not do this with their posts (templates). I was able to find a way to do this and work around all of their bugs with a text file. The post language is EXTREMELY basic, and you must play a lot of games in order to get it to do what you want. I then created an Excel spreadsheet that automatically writes posts for Fanuc controls according to the variables you select and outputs them in the ".blk" files. Yeah, it's badass. My spreadsheet, that is. PG6 is not badass.