Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d wire geo spline trim help

Darin

We do a lot of 3D wireframe work at one of the places I program for. They have a 5-axis router and they will need to add or take some material off the edges of these composite parts . Since it is 3D the edit trim extend usual give me the selected objects do not intersect. What we have been trying is just to contour offset a edge and use xform point to point after we trim the lines close. But this doesn't always work out and we sometimes have to create a line end endpoint even though the geo isn't straight because it is a spline just to be able to close chain. Especially if the geo is really curved and at a weird angle. Is there a trick on doing this? We bring in a solid model and make a wireframe from it. Is this something that would be better editing in the solid?

Thanks

post-1869-0-90986700-1373227375_thumb.png

post-1869-0-61845700-1373227386_thumb.png

post-1869-0-80341400-1373227596_thumb.png

Sometimes I will create a surface from a solid face. Then extend the surface edge or extend trimmed edges and create a curve dynamic on the extended surface.

Then make a new spline by selecting points of all geo I want as one chain. Can be a pain.

Why not to curve 5axis or swarf to cut the edges on the router just wondering why 3d contour?

We are using 5axis curve classic just using the 3D geo for the path. 3D offset contour is what I was using to make the geo edges smaller or bigger. But I like Dan@Vian Ent 's idea and I will try that.

Thanks

Sometimes I will create a surface from a solid face. Then extend the surface edge or extend trimmed edges and create a curve dynamic on the extended surface.

Then make a new spline by selecting points of all geo I want as one chain. Can be a pain.

That worked great for extending the 3D geo but what about trimming them? I tried a negative number in the field but didn't trim it. I guess the question is how do you trim a surface that cam from a solid not extend it?

Thanks

post-1869-0-41939300-1373241127_thumb.png

I've found that in most cases splines will not trim to one another even if they do intersect. This message can be a bunch of malarkey: "selected objects do not intersect."

If your lucky, you can extend both the splines, then use break at intersection and delete what you don't need.

You can also make a new spline using the existing splines and loosen the tolerance.