Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming and Machine def question; colinear axis machine?

YoDoug®

I'm curious as to how a machine with a colinear axis would be set up in MCX and how you program the second axis. The example would be a position-able bridge machine with a colinear W axis bridge and a NC Z axis. How would the W axis be set up in the machine def and how would it be programmed, misc integer? Also then could the machine simulation be set up read those W axis positions?

Anybody have an example?

Are you able to use the machine simulation to show the W axis? I am looking to set up a machine simulation for time studies and demos on an Okuma MCR Biii double column. I know how to do it in Esprit but so many of our customer use Mastercam that I like to be able to show them an example programming in software they use. For us on the machine sales side of the world, good eye-candy simulations are almost as important as good posted code.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Forget about collinear axis simulation in Mastercam.

It is currently impossible as the data is not part of the NCI.

Vericut or something similar is the only option for true kinematic simulation.

In ESPRIT the machine file handles the simulation end as it creates the property for each axis but that's only part of it.

You then need some API automation to establish the custom CL codes for the post to read each property.

When you do both the post work is easy and you can see the simulation actually reflect your NC code.

If you want some API code for doing it ESPRIT just PM me.

I built a small interface for it so you can specify the data without having to use the property manager.

You would have to write the logic into the Post to output both the NC code, and the simulation file. This can certainly be done, but it isn't for the faint of heart. You need to have advanced post processor editing skills. The advantage is that by outputting both your NC file and the .SIM file from the same post blocks, your simulation results will be much closer to reality. (You still won't be able to simulate things like machine macros, or custom M-Codes that cause machine movement, but you'll be able to see any of the motion commands.)

I know In House Solutions and Postability are both outputting Post files that produce custom Machine Simulation files. I'd recommend contacting them concerning a post that will do this.

Forget about collinear axis simulation in Mastercam.

It is currently impossible as the data is not part of the NCI.

Vericut or something similar is the only option for true kinematic simulation.

In ESPRIT the machine file handles the simulation end as it creates the property for each axis but thats only part of it.

You then need some API automation to establish the custom CL codes for the post to read.

When you do both you can see the simulation actually reflect your NC code.

If you want some API code for doing it ESPRIT just PM me.

I built a small interface for it so you can specify the data without having to use the property manager.

Hi Tim,

This is certainly possible if you use the post to output the SIM file...

Guest MTB Technical Services

Hi Tim,

This is certainly possible if you use the post to output the SIM file...

True, but the point is it doesn't reflect anything in the operations in Mastercam itself.

Without the data being present in the NCI, it's completely artificial.

It's a workaround that works but it's still a work-around.

• Like 1